Long exposures with nikon D5300 Generic equipment discussions · Ivan Bosnar · ... · 5 · 262 · 0

Boski 0.00
Hi all,

I bought the nikon d5300 recently and I having hard time understanding how to make for example 20 exposures of 3 minutes. It has the interval shooting feature inside that allows you to take desirable number of 30 sec exposures. On other hand I can also go with the bulb option but then I need to press the shutter for the beginning and the end of the session. Ok, I can do that remotely probably but what is the point of calculating 3 minutes and going for the shutter every time. So is there any way to put the camera on the mount and program it to shoot 20 exposures of 3 minutes without touching the damn thing and without using the remote control or whatsoever.
Thank you for your answer.

Ivan
planethunter
you have to purchase an extra piece of equipment called an intervalometer.  there's no way to do it with the built-in features on the camera.  something like this should do it: remote intervalometer
Boski 0.00
you have to purchase an extra piece of equipment called an intervalometer.  there's no way to do it with the built-in features on the camera.  something like this should do it: remote intervalometer

Thank you, just bought one!
dagoldst 1.51
I use Backyard Nikon on my laptop.  With your D5300, all you need to do is set the camera to manual, run a USB cable to your computer, and set up your shooting sessions in BYN.

BYN has a lot of other cool features, like an easy to use focusing program while in liveview.  While you view a star, you can adjust your focuser and get a readout on the FWHM.
Edited ...
Boski 0.00
Thank you David, I didnt even know that Backyard Nikon exists, this is very helpful information. Thanx again!
Stefano_Minelli 0.00
If you have an android phone you can install the free DSLR remote app. Set the shutter speed, the time between shots and the other and finally the number of shots. On the Nikon set option B and the set for remote control.I use it successfully for a long time. ;)

Register or login to create to post a reply.