Sony a6000 AstroPhotography vs Canon 700d Generic equipment discussions · Gianluca Belgrado · ... · 20 · 549 · 0

gianluc1 0.00
Hello everyone, I have a Canon 1100D modified but it is defective
 (see https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=254195125009674&set=pb.100012575641628.-2207520000.1485097201.&type=3&theater) and I would take another camera. I was thinking about these three: Sony a6000 -Canon eos 700d and Canon EOS M, Budget under $ 400
  8)
Edited ...
carl0s 0.00
Doesn't Sony a6000 suffers from the star eater problem while in bulb mode ?
Both Eos can use magic lantern, which is a great asset. Eos M goes for 100-200€
Edited ...
gianluc1 0.00
Carl0s Ciao, io uso Lanterna Magica sul mio 1100D, quindi questa cosa è la stella di Sony problema mangiatore?
dagoldst 1.51
Do you use BackyardEOS?  That alone would make me pick a Canon.  I use BackyardNikon right now with a D5300a.  The control over the camera and the integration with my ASCOM focuser and PHD2 are really huge advantages.

David
gianluc1 0.00
BackyardEOS not use, imposed a virtual interval series with Magic Lantern and use a guider stand alone, do not use the computer to take
gianluc1 0.00
Someone uses Sony for astrophotos? I saw that the only uses Björn Hoffmann
gca 0.00
Hello,

i use a modified  Alpha 6000 with Sony Remote Camera Control and for bulb-modus PHDMAX (felopaul.com). I am a beginner to DSO-Imaging.
I am very  satisfied with the camera especially the good price-performance ratio. I have a second Alpha 6000  camera also for normal shots.

Giovanni
AMultiverse 0.00
I have an EOS-M and find it is missing many features important for astrophotography including no ability to connect an intervalometer, no ability to tether by USB to a PC, and very difficult to use in bulb setting. Newer models do not have these features either. Magic Lantern does provide an internal intervalometer, but does not add external remote control with this camera. The only remote shutter release is using IR, and it must be pointed toward the front of the camera. I have yet to find a low profile T-mount adapter to use the additional backfocus of a mirrorless camera. I think Canon is making a big mistake not supporting technical photography features in this camera. Too bad because these are just firmware features, so it must be a marketing decision.  I would not recommend it.
carl0s 0.00
The main point about the eos m is the price and it's weight. With ML one have the intervalometer functionality.  It's a basic portable setup. The bulb mode works pretty well  in ML.  I would not use Canon without having the option of  ML or other 3rd party software. Canon , are you listening ? The Canon support is ....  They just don't care. But again, this cam is so cheap.  The only thing, I'm missing is a tiltable screen.
Btw. , to use the full backfocus one can use a retro adapter for the Eos M mount. This gives one a M52 thread which easily can be converted into T2. Another good news for Eos M users. Astronomik just released Clip filters for this camera.
Edited ...
BjoernH 3.34
The a6000 does not suffer from the star eater problem. It only happens in the A7 series. Check my gallery to see what's possible with an a6000! Also, Marcus Woegerer uses Sony cameras. He is also very happy with the sensors Sony uses.
Edited ...
carl0s 0.00
Björn Hoffmann:
The a6000 does not suffer from the star eater problem. It only happens in the A7 series. Check my gallery to see what's possible with an a6000! Also, Marcus Woegerer uses Sony cameras. He is also very happy with the sensors Sony uses.

Good to know. Sony sensors are great, I'm also using one. The A7 is a curiosity and nobody can explain it, not even Sony.
whwang 11.57
Hi Björn,

Do you have data to confirm your claim that a6000 does not have the star eater problem?  Regarding the aX000 series, I heard contradicting claims about whether they have the star eater problem or not.  So far no one has been able to use actual images to demonstrate it.  I am very concerned about this.

Cheers,
Wei-Hao
AMultiverse 0.00
Hi carIOs, What is a retro adapter for the Eos M mount, and how do I buy one? Thanks, gil.

Gianluca, If it were the only camera I owned and I was using it without a computer, I would buy the 700D (Rebel T5i). I also own a 1100D (Rebel T3) and a 60Da, and when I'm using a tracker the fully articulated screen of the 60Da makes focusing and framing much easier. Combine articulation with a touch screen (which the 60Da does not have, but the EOS-M does), and it would be the easiest to use of the alternatives you are looking at.
BjoernH 3.34
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi Björn,Do you have data to confirm your claim that a6000 does not have the star eater problem?  Regarding the aX000 series, I heard contradicting claims about whether they have the star eater problem or not.  So far no one has been able to use actual images to demonstrate it.  I am very concerned about this.

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

Hi Wei-Hao,
I always thought that the problem only exists in the A7-series as I never read anything about the star eating in A6x00 series. Well, I just went through some old data and made a comparison of a 30s ISO3200 and a Bulb 60s ISO1600 photo. It's hard to compare them due to different settings, but it looks alarming.  Many stars are gone, a few show a darker center. I still need to make a direct comparison of 30s and 30s(bulb) at same settings to be sure.
Take a look at the image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/578c1pmg884jxtx/sony_star_eater.jpg?dl=0
BjoernH 3.34
The same here, again 30s ISO3200 and 60s(bulb) ISO1600. Many of the tiny stars are gone. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qedebl2qpdve0oc/sony_star_eater2.jpg?dl=0
whwang 11.57
I agree. It's alarming. It like oks to me that the star eater is in action.
BjoernH 3.34
I asked Jim Kasson to analyze the A6000 for star eating algorithms. He is an expert in image analysis and has reported many times about the spatial filtering (star eating) of the A7 series. Let's see if he would help us!
BjoernH 3.34
Hi everyone,
I managed to do some testing on the Star Eating behaviour on the Sony A6000. I believe this is the first time someone has shown it for this camera model. Take a look at the depressing images : http://www.astrobin.com/281571/C/
Hornisse 0.00
I use Canon 450Da, but as I see the Sony a6000 has very good quantum efficiency (2 times my Canon's) and low read noise.

Sensorgen a6000
gianluc1 0.00
Hornisse unfortunately it is useless to have less noise if the sensor clears the stars
Thechosennone 0.00
I use an a7s. When i stack subs can't see the problem but i guess its there. The simple solution is to take long subs for the nebula and some 30" fits for the stars.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.