ASI 1600 MMC HALOS ZWO ASI1600MM/QHY163M · Laurent · ... · 35 · 2205 · 2

(deleted)
CarlosUriarte 0.00
I'm very interested with this problem...in my opinion its possible than only artefacts affected with few cameras.
maro21 0.00
I have noticed the same halos , only with h-alpha filter. Check my horse head nebula.
(deleted)
CarlosUriarte 0.00
what? laurent, it's a problem with all cameras with this sensor?
I'ts possible than ONLY in BIG stars...?

Excuse my english...I'm not french...but I'm a Catalan..from Tarragona (near Barcelona)
Edited ...
thfrey 0.00
OK, thats the answer. I was also searching why i get These halos.
Very strong on my last picture, but i have it also on others with the ASI 1600mmc.
IC443
Thanks for this thread, so i can stop searching ;)
Yes with NB Filters it happens much stronger, but also with RGB it can be found. M45

CS Thilo
Edited ...
(deleted)
Edited ...
OLEKAZ 0.00

Well this thread really adds info to my problem also...I have the ZWO178 c non cooled....and with my new stellavue 70 triplet I am getting
the same problems...With my doublet the stars were more bloated than
anything but with the triplet I am getting the halo with a "black"
circle in the center the stars. I was thinking the new OTA was the
problem so I shot 2 nights with my Nikon and did not have the problem.So
it has to be the ZWO that is causing the problem. So it's contact ZWO and see what they  think and will do or live with the problem or buy another camera I guess..I have been using the star spike program to add spikes to the image to help hide the problem.
In this pic yoiu can see what I an talking about..Can be seen better in full res.

I dont know if this link will show the pic but see the first Orion pic in my gallery..http://www.astrobin.com/281102/0/?real=&nc=user
Aenima666 0.00
Steve:
Well this thread really adds info to my problem also...I have the ZWO178 c non cooled....and with my new stellavue 70 triplet I am getting
the same problems...With my doublet the stars were more bloated than
anything but with the triplet I am getting the halo with a "black"
circle in the center the stars. I was thinking the new OTA was the
problem so I shot 2 nights with my Nikon and did not have the problem.So
it has to be the ZWO that is causing the problem. So it's contact ZWO and see what they  think and will do or live with the problem or buy another camera I guess..I have been using the star spike program to add spikes to the image to help hide the problem.
In this pic yoiu can see what I an talking about..Can be seen better in full res.

I dont know if this link will show the pic but see the first Orion pic in my gallery..http://www.astrobin.com/281102/0/?real=&nc=user

I dont think the dark centres to the stars is the same problem Steve - it looks a bit like the Doughnuts that DSS causes when the hotpixel cosmetic filter is set too high .
As for the halos -
I have found the microlens reflections are present even without filters = just with a camera (QHY163M)  and a scope (ED80) - unfortunately it just means its best to avoid bright stars. :/

Jay.
Edited ...
OLEKAZ 0.00
Thanks Jay..I had a friend that I sent some pics to today and he said about the same thing that you did.
Allinthehead 0.90
I got the halos with my ed 80. Changed to william optics star 71 and halos are no more.
AtmosFearIC 0.00
I prefer the pattern than some of the reflections that some of the larger RC/CDK types give.
dts350z 0.00
Laurent:
The solution would be to change the cover glass but it is not so easy.  This window is close to the sensor and necessary for cooling. I invite you to post on the forum ZWOThe sensors of qhy163 are also concerned
[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Has anyone tried flipping the filters over? I understand there is a problem with the sensor glass but the filters must be reflecting that reflection back into the camera so maybe changing the filter orientation could make a difference?

OR, has anyone seen confirmation that any other brand of filter can minimize or eliminate the problem?
dts350z 0.00
Oh, or is it a reflection between the sensor class and microlenses on the sensor (in which case it has nothing to do with NB or other filters)?
Allinthehead 0.90
Laurent:
The solution would be to change the cover glass but it is not so easy.  This window is close to the sensor and necessary for cooling. I invite you to post on the forum ZWOThe sensors of qhy163 are also concerned[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Has anyone tried flipping the filters over? I understand there is a problem with the sensor glass but the filters must be reflecting that reflection back into the camera so maybe changing the filter orientation could make a difference?

OR, has anyone seen confirmation that any other brand of filter can minimize or eliminate the problem?

I checked on  the same bright star using an astrodon 5nm ha and astrodon 3nm oiii. The issue was there with the ha and disappeared with the Oiii.
andreas1969 6.02
I have similar issues with halos around bright stars. I tried flipping the filter and increasing the distance between filter and sensor but there is no change. Any idea if using astrodon narrowband filters with asi1600mm pro will solve the problem?
andreas1969 6.02
Allinthehead 0.90
I have similar issues with halos around bright stars. I tried flipping the filter and increasing the distance between filter and sensor but there is no change. Any idea if using astrodon narrowband filters with asi1600mm pro will solve the problem?

Astrodon filters won't solve the problem. I have a 5nm ha and i get the pattern around bright stars.
(deleted)
andreas1969 6.02
So, I guess the solution is change the camera or improve our post processing skills!
(deleted)
dts350z 0.00
You can do tone mapping (remove the stars) then, when finished processing the DSO, replace the stars with short exposure RGB  versions.
GaryPlum 0.00
I guess this question is directed to refractor users only. Has anyone tried an IR-Cut filter between the flattener and filter wheel?
NightSkyImager 0.00
When I purchased the ZWO1600MM-C I got the ZWO 36mm filters and 7 position filter wheel from High Point Scientific in a special deal.   I battled the halos and did what I could in post to fix stars.  Which was not hard to do...just aggravating.  I suspected the filters were contributing to the problem so I added Astronomik filters replacing all of the ZWO ones ....... and my problems with Halos disappeared.   From reading this thread I understand others have not had success with filter changes.
dts350z 0.00
Baader filters worked for me (2” filter wheel)

There are are two separate problems. Some people have sensor glass problems (I don’t ). And others have the filter issue.

Zwo has “2018” filters with “reduced” halo issues but I haven’t tried those.

Register or login to create to post a reply.