Hemisphere:  Southern  ·  Constellation: Orion (Ori)  ·  Contains:  Horsehead nebula  ·  IC 431  ·  IC 432  ·  IC 434  ·  IC 435  ·  NGC 2023  ·  NGC 2024  ·  The star Alnitak (ζOri)  ·  The star σOri
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
The Horsehead, 


            Don Walters
The Horsehead
Powered byPixInsight

The Horsehead

Technical card

Imaging telescopes or lenses: Stellarvue 80mm Triplet APO SV080ST-25FT

Imaging cameras: QHY8L OSC

Mounts: Orion Sirius EQ-G w/ Rowan Belt Mod

Guiding telescopes or lenses: 30mm Guidescope

Guiding cameras: QHY5L-II-M

Software: Main Sequence Software Sequence Generator Pro  ·  PixInsight 1.8  ·  DeepSkyStacker  ·  PHD Guiding 2

Filters: Hutech IDAS LPS D1 2"

Dates:Dec. 30, 2015Jan. 2, 2016Jan. 13, 2016Jan. 23, 2016

Frames:Hutech IDAS LPS D1 2": 67x1200"

Integration: 22.3 hours

Flats: ~100

Avg. Moon age: 14.98 days

Avg. Moon phase: 59.05%

Basic astrometry details

Astrometry.net job: 939651

RA center: 5h 41' 4"

DEC center: -2° 26' 2"

Pixel scale: 3.313 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 95.229 degrees

Field radius: 1.617 degrees

Resolution: 2892x1996

Locations: My Backyard, Benton, AR, United States

Data source: Backyard


Well, I begrudgingly paid for a membership. Bugs me a little to have to pay to upload, because we're not getting any new features (yet) but we're having to pay now. I do enjoy having all my images cataloged this way with all the stats, so I opened up my wallet, and here we are.

This object was a real challenge. I've been working on this image all month. Took me the entire month of January.

I started using a new guide scope bracket, and I ended up getting flexure that was causing me to have elongated stars. I never zoomed in close enough to notice that they were bad, so I ended up capturing 35 hours of data that I couldn't use. You just can't imagine how devastated I was to lose all those subs.

So after I realized my mistake and switched back to the metal bracket, I started getting good stars again. So ever since, I've been re-shooting everything I had lost.

This is also the debut image of my new field flattener. Its an FF6 from Stellarvue and the results are amazing! I can now use 100% of the starfield when I do full-image HFR readings on my images in SGP. So my focus should be more accurate now that I can get focus on stars that are not elongated. And of course now I can think about getting into mosaics.


Sky plot

Sky plot


The Horsehead, 


            Don Walters