Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White
LDN 1251

LDN 1251

Technical card

Imaging telescope or lens:Boren-Simon PowerNewt 8

Imaging camera:ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool

Mount:Orion Atlas EQ-G

Guiding telescope or lens:Orion 50mm Guide Scope with helical focusing

Guiding camera:Orion SSAG Pro Mono

Focal reducer:ASA 2" Reducer 0,73

Software:Lightroom CCPixInsight

Filters:GreenBlueRedIDAS LPS D1

Resolution: 4108x2739

Dates:Oct. 6, 2016

Blue: 105x45" (gain: 76.00) -20C bin 1x1
Green: 105x45" (gain: 76.00) -20C bin 1x1
IDAS LPS D1: 466x30" (gain: 76.00) -20C bin 1x1
Red: 105x45" (gain: 76.00) -20C bin 1x1

Integration: 7.8 hours

Darks: ~30

Flats: ~50

Bias: ~200

Avg. Moon age: 4.93 days

Avg. Moon phase: 25.11% job: 1305652

RA center: 22h 32' 21"

DEC center: +75° 11' 34"

Pixel scale: 1.283 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 2.603 degrees

Field radius: 0.880


EDIT: I forgot that I had a couple of hours of RGB on this target from a week ago. It was a little bit more out of collimation so I wasn't going to use it. I added it for the second revision and I think it really helped out the color balance. Goes to show that integration time trumps most everything else.

Second light with my new Powernewt. I'm still learning how to collimate this scope and I'm getting better but still have a ways to go. (After this image session I found that one corner of my focuser was not drawn tight to the OTA. That helped a ton with my next captures, but did not benefit this data any) I had a lot of challenges getting this data. The seeing was terrible and the dew was so heavy that it was almost like mist. My secondary kept fogging up, and I think my red channel focus was off a tiny bit. Also my camera window fogged up, which I hadn't experienced before. Manual calibration with PI produces some VERY strange results so I need to see where I went wrong there. I ended up running each channel through BPP which fixed all the problems I hit with Manual Integration, but resulted in a lot more noise. I'd call this a WIP, but having fun with the new scope and enjoying the challenges.



Chris R White
License: None (All rights reserved)


  • LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White
  • LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White
  • LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White
  • LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White
  • Final
    LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White

Sky plot

Sky plot


LDN 1251, 


            Chris R White

In these public groups

Cloudy Nights