Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree
Contains:  M 31, Great Nebula in Andromeda, NGC 224, M 32, NGC 221, M 110, NGC 205
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
M31 Andromeda Galaxy in HaLRGB with Esprit 80 / ASI1600MM / MyT, 





    
        

            Rowland Archer
M31 Andromeda Galaxy in HaLRGB with Esprit 80 / ASI1600MM / MyT

M31 Andromeda Galaxy in HaLRGB with Esprit 80 / ASI1600MM / MyT

Technical card

Resolution: 4380x3286

Astrometry.net job: 1801812

RA center: 10.691 degrees

DEC center: 41.280 degrees

Pixel scale: 1.906 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 21.164 degrees

Field radius: 1.449 degrees

Data source: Backyard

Description

Not exactly first light, but early light (first month) with my Skywatcher Esprit 80, which I picked up during the recent sale, specifically to go after wide fields objects like M31 without mosaics and with some room to spare. I needed it as my R frames were a bit shifted and I had to crop out the stacking artifacts.

I start getting saturation with only 8 seconds of L, so I shot a relatively large number of L frames - 600. Mr. Moon contributed some light to the situation but I was eager to see some results with the new setup so soldiered on. Due to meridian flips and imaging across several nights, I found my integrated subs had some gradients coming in from both the top right and bottom left corners, requiring a couple of passes with PixInsight's DBE process and careful selection of samples to clear things up. My first attempts at DBE were of the "more the merrier" philosophy, but after listening to Warren Keller's talk at the recent AIC, I think the "less is more" approach works better. PixInsight is starting to feel like less of a black box to me - I'm starting to develop a mental model of what the process does. So for DBE, I'm not just shotgunning samples all over the image, but trying to look at the big picture and "outline" the start and finish of the major gradients, plus a couple of interior points. Takes less time and works better.

I wanted to selectively add the Ha data to point out the star-forming regions in the spiral arms, so I used a mask to target them during a PixelMath add to the R channel. I first tried a mask that included the galactic core but it made everything a bit too red for my taste.

C&C always welcome!

Clear skies,
Rowland

9 hours of integration:

L = 600 x 8 sec
R = 134 x 60 sec
G = 104 x 60 sec
B = 104 x 60 sec
H = 30 x 240 sec

Comments

Author

Vassar1976
Rowland Archer
License: None (All rights reserved)
780
Like

Sky plot

Sky plot

Histogram

M31 Andromeda Galaxy in HaLRGB with Esprit 80 / ASI1600MM / MyT, 





    
        

            Rowland Archer