AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.I agree
Imaging telescope or lens:Orion EON 115mm ED APO Triplet Refractor
Imaging camera:ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool
Mount:ORION HDX-110 EG-G
Guiding telescope or lens:Stellarvue SV80mm finder
Guiding camera:ZWO ASI290mm Mini
Focal reducer:William Optics 0.8x Flattener IV
Filters:Astrodon 36mm O3 5nm, Astrodon 36mm SII 5nm, Astrodon Blue Tru-Balance E-series gen 2, Astrodon Red Tru-Balance E-series gen 2, Astrodon Green Tru-Balance E-series gen 2, Astrodon Luminance Tru-Balance E-series gen 2, Astrodon 36mm Ha 5nm
Astrodon 36mm Ha 5nm: 60x10" (gain: 200.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon 36mm Ha 5nm: 60x300" (gain: 200.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon 36mm Ha 5nm: 40x45" (gain: 200.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon 36mm O3 5nm: 60x45" (gain: 200.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon 36mm O3 5nm: 60x300" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon 36mm SII 5nm: 60x300" (gain: 200.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Blue Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 60x10" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Blue Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 159x90" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Green Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 60x10" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Green Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 170x90" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Luminance Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 60x10" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Luminance Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 60x30" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Luminance Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 120x300" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Red Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 60x10" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Astrodon Red Tru-Balance E-series gen 2: 168x90" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
Integration: 40.0 hours
Flat darks: ~40
Avg. Moon age: 17.59 days
Avg. Moon phase: 35.96%
Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 5.00
Astrometry.net job: 2501401
Locations: Backyard, Austin, TX, United States
Data source: Backyard
This is half of my winter project of the Orion Nebula and Running Man nebula. This is the first panel and is processed with LRGB and Ha, OIII and SII data. I had several problems in processing. First was the star color when stretched for the RGB data. The ArcsinhStretch seems to always generate color artifacts with the stars. I also had a lot of issues blending the NB data into the RGB. I was not successful with the NBRGBCombination script so I used a blend of the RGB and a false color image from the NB filters using the blend script. I still need to figure out how to fix the star color. The fringe halos are not a consistent color. The microlensing artifacts around the bright stars is inherent with the ASI1600MM-Pro sensor.
I spent a huge amount of time in reprocessing this data. I was unhappy with the stars in particular. They had artifacts that I was able to nail down as coming from the process of non-linear stretching both the RGB and LUM data. With some hints from Adam Block, I stretched the images differently. ArcSinhStretch, when used from the beginning for the initial stretch, will result in ugly color artifacts. I stretched the RGB data first using the STF function to find a nice medium stretch - not the AutoSTF stretch that often will wash out the color. I used this as the initial stretch to about 80% of the total stretch. Then I went back to ArcSinhStretch to do most of the remaining stretch. This really saves the color saturation of the data while not causing star artifacts. Then a final tweak stretch with the histogram transformation for the blackpoint. The key was to not over stretch the data so that LRGBCombination will have headroom when the lum data is added. I also induced artifacts in the stars from the LUM stretching. Again I used the STF tool and histogram transformation for the initial stretch - this time about 50% of the stretch. I then used maskstretch for the rest of the stretch. This really preserves the detail in the bright core region while getting most of the background nebulosity visible. I then used a mask to protect the core and used exponential transformation to stretch to dimmer nebulosity. These changes to the stretching fixed my star artifacts. I also used a single reference for aligning all my subframes instead of doing it by filter so I had only one instance of interpolation in the data. I also did deconvolution of each of the filter channel master light frames independently instead of only on the combined lum. I used a different method of blending in the narrowband data to include all the narrowband filters. Needless to say that this took many days to complete but I am very happy with the improvements. I also did not over do the color saturations so it Ha is less pink. The end result has NO noise reduction at all. I hope you like it. C&C welcome.
|You have no new notifications.|
This page or operation is not available at the moment, because AstroBin is in READ ONLY mode. For more information, please check out our Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/AstroBin_com
If this image is the result of your processing of a public data pool, you can send it the pool so it's displayed there.
Use this form to select an existing public data pool.
If this image is the result of your processing of a private shared folder, you can send it the folder so it's displayed there.
Such limitation improves the website as a whole by discouraging people from creating fake accounts to like their own images. Thank you for understanding!
Currently, your AstroBin index is 0.00.