Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree
Contains:  NGC 3628, M 66, NGC 3627, M 65, NGC 3623
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
Stellarvue SVX 130T First Light, 





    
        

            jerryyyyy
Stellarvue SVX 130T First Light

Stellarvue SVX 130T First Light

Technical card

Resolution: 2753x2346

Dates:May 11, 2019

Frames:
Astrodon Blue Tru-Balance E-Series Gen 2: 12x240" bin 1x1
Astrodon Green Tru-Balance E-Series Gen 2: 6x240" bin 1x1
Astrodon Luminance Tru-Balance E-Series Gen 2: 18x100" bin 1x1
Astrodon Red Tru-Balance E-Series Generation 2: 12x240"

Integration: 2.5 hours

Avg. Moon age: 6.81 days

Avg. Moon phase: 43.87%

Astrometry.net job: 2691698

RA center: 169.952 degrees

DEC center: 13.183 degrees

Pixel scale: 1.220 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 296.868 degrees

Field radius: 0.613 degrees

Locations: Stanford Faculty Observatory, Stanford, California, United States

Data source: Own remote observatory

Description

Well I have decided to get a new scope with a more narrow field of view than my Tak 180ED. After a lot of calculation I felt that 900mm FL would be about the longest focal length that made sense in an urban environment. I had considered the Tak FSQ 106 but that is not that much different from the Tak 180ED so a friend suggested Stellarvue with their new 130mm refractor. A major plus is that the manufacturer is 2.5h by freeway from my house. We checked out the plant and decided to buy when we saw what was up in terms of the quality.

I also bought the focal reducer if I wanted to cut down to about 700mm FL and the field flattener.

I also got the Moonlite NightCrawler focuser/rotator. Moonlite and Stellarvue have formed a partnership.

This image is limited by my fog and the number of images I could take, but I wanted to post something.

The challenges/resolutions have been:

1. Getting spacers right/Vic and Ron talk to each other over the phone (a novel idea) and they both talk to me. All the equipment comes with a myriad of spacers. Anyway, once you have the right spacers, the field is flat and the stars round.

2. Getting the rotator to work right/thanks to several people I eventually was able to take and image in my guide camera, plate solve it, and get an exact solution for TSX to identify guide stars. Also key was to realize that the ASCOM driver direction had to be revered (checkbox). The focuser worked perfectly right out of the box and the V-curves very reliable.

3. I had a problem in the Observatory with the overall length of the apparatus (my box is only 6'x6'x6.5'). I added weight on the end of the CCD and could get it all to guide. The NightCrawler handles 35 lbs+.

If anyone has any questions about the technical aspects of all this, please feel free to send me a PM. This was very challenging for me to set up, but thanks to all the folks at Stellarvue, Moonlite, ACP, Astrophysics, Diffraction Unlimited and Software Bisque, it is working.

Comments

Author

jerryyyyy
jerryyyyy
License: None (All rights reserved)
1500
Like

Sky plot

Sky plot

Histogram

Stellarvue SVX 130T First Light, 





    
        

            jerryyyyy