Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree
Contains:  NGC 6883
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
WR134  Ha/OIII Medium Field, 





    
        

            mikefulb
WR134  Ha/OIII Medium Field

WR134 Ha/OIII Medium Field

Technical card

Resolution: 2306x1716

Dates:July 29, 2019July 30, 2019Aug. 3, 2019Aug. 5, 2019Aug. 12, 2019

Frames:
Astrodon Ha 1.25 5nm: 44x300" (gain: 139.00) -10C bin 1x1
Astrodon OIII 1.25 3nm: 146x300" (gain: 139.00) -10C bin 1x1

Integration: 15.8 hours

Avg. Moon age: 14.81 days

Avg. Moon phase: 27.83%

Astrometry.net job: 2859575

RA center: 302.558 degrees

DEC center: 36.170 degrees

Pixel scale: 1.963 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 33.946 degrees

Field radius: 0.784 degrees

Data source: Backyard

Description

This is an experiment of sorts. I took the Ha and OIII data and stretched them with the Delinear script in Pixinsight. Then I loaded each as layer in Photoshop and then used GradientMap to map the OIII data to a bluish color I liked and then mapped the Ha data to a golden color. I set each layer to 'Linear Dodge' and blended them with a background solid layer set to (18/18/18) RGB.

After lots of futzing around with minimizing stars and using the high pass filter to enhance contrast I settled on this version.

I feel I was able to better present the faint tendrils of WR134 by mapping directly to a bluish color compared to when I tried variations of HOO with the Green channel being a linear combination of Ha and OIII. The output of those tests always needed considerable SelectiveColor help in Photoshop that eventually degraded the tendrils in WR134.

It was a fun experiment.

All the data with collected with RASS which is an automation suite I've written in Python. There is no GUI like traditional programs. I have a "sequence server" that connects to all the hardware and accepts sequence requests. It handles pre-pointing, focusing, pier flipping, etc.

I have another program that I feed in project definitions and it schedules the requested observations and feeds them to the sequence server.

A project definition is just a list of targets with priorities and a list of observations for each filter for each target, also with optional priories. You can also set constraints on altitude and start/end time. All of this is stored in YAML files which are quick and easy to edit by hand.

Comments

Author

mikefulb
mikefulb
License: None (All rights reserved)
1726
Like

Sky plot

Sky plot

Histogram

WR134  Ha/OIII Medium Field, 





    
        

            mikefulb