Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree

New volunteers needed for IOTD Selection board 2020

Ramanmadhira
03 Feb, 2020 05:04
Hi Salvatore,
Depends on your availability I'll serve as either a Submitter or reviewer

Clear Skies,
Ray
jcoldrey
03 Feb, 2020 11:15
I'm available as a submitter or reviewer.
Happy to contribute in whatever capacity would be most helpful.
-Amenophis-
03 Feb, 2020 20:45
Hi Salvator,
I would be happy to continue as Submitter  smile
Thank you.

Thomas
Damien.Cannane
04 Feb, 2020 18:18
After a year away from it, I would be happy to return as a Reviewer this year. smile
martindufour
06 Feb, 2020 02:57
Hi,

First time for me, if you need help l will be happy to be a submitters or a reviewers

Thanks

Martin
strudolyubov
06 Feb, 2020 17:18
Hi Salvatore,

I will be happy to help as a submitter or a reviewer this year.

Thanks,
Sergey
Christophorus
07 Feb, 2020 13:04
Hello Salvatore,
I would like to help too. As submitter or reviewer or whatever..
Thank you, Christoph
jtrezzo
07 Feb, 2020 21:22
I am available to continue in some capacity. I have been a reviewer but wouldn't mind going back to submitter. Whichever is needed.
uranus7
19 Feb, 2020 12:26
HELLO, SUBMITTERS, REVIEWERS, AND SPECIALLY   JUDGES :

PLEASE, BE FAIR AND GIVE TO THE SOLAR IMAGES  MORE ATTENTION AND RESPECT, THAT MEANS A SUITABLE RESPECTABLE PERCENT FOR THE IOD DECISIONS.

IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DSO IMAGES HERE.
TRY TO GIVE AT LEAST 5-10  IOD's  PER MONTH.
SOMEBODY, PROBABLY THE BEST WILL BE Mr.  SALVATORE,  MUST WATCH THAT RULE TO BE ACCOMPLISHED.
IT IS NOT FAIR THE POLITIC OF THE SUBMITTERS, REVIEWERS, AND  JUDGES, SUSTAINED TILL NOW.
THERE ARE MANY SOLAR AP's  HERE WHO DESERVES  I.O.D.  FOR THEIR SPECIAL TALENT.

In addition, the annual change of teams, with teams made up of volunteers is not a fair solution, of course. The best perception of quality can only be had by the members who have had great international successes. Otherwise, the notion of quality on this site will dramatically decrease. The good quality of IODs will attract here good quality AP's and will motivate the members to work better without being disappointed.
WAITING FOR A REPLY, PLEASE.

GABRIEL
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 12:28
Die_Launische_Diva
19 Feb, 2020 12:57
Gabriel - Uranus7
HELLO, SUBMITTERS, REVIEWERS, AND SPECIALLY   JUDGES smileLEASE, BE FAIR AND GIVE TO THE SOLAR IMAGES  MORE ATTENTION AND RESPECT, THAT MEANS A SUITABLE RESPECTABLE PERCENT FOR THE IOD DECISIONS.

IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DSO IMAGES HERE.
SOMEBODY, PROBABLY THE BEST WILL BE Mr.  SALVATORE,  MUST WATCH THAT RULE TO BE ACCOMPLISHED.
IT IS NOT FAIR THE POLITIC OF THE SUBMITTERS, REVIEWERS, AND  JUDGES, SUSTAINED TILL NOW.

In addition, the annual change of teams, with teams made up of volunteers is not a fair solution, of course. The best perception of quality can only be had by the members who have had great international successes. Otherwise, the notion of quality on this site will dramatically decrease. The good quality of IODs will attract here good quality AP's and will motivate the members to work better without being disappointed.

GABRIEL

If you feel confident on what constitutes a good solar image, why won't you volunteer as a submitter or reviewer then? smile
torsinadoc
19 Feb, 2020 13:45
If still needed , I would like to serve as a submitter
whwang
19 Feb, 2020 15:42
Die Launische Diva
Gabriel - Uranus7
HELLO, SUBMITTERS, REVIEWERS, AND SPECIALLY   JUDGES smileLEASE, BE FAIR AND GIVE TO THE SOLAR IMAGES  MORE ATTENTION AND RESPECT, THAT MEANS A SUITABLE RESPECTABLE PERCENT FOR THE IOD DECISIONS.IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DSO IMAGES HERE.

GABRIEL

If you feel confident on what constitutes a good solar image, why won't you volunteer as a submitter or reviewer then? smile
I agree with Die Launische Diva.  The best way to ensure that there is a fair amount of high-quality solar images selected as IOTD is to have some good solar photographer"S" to volunteer into the judging system.  Using myself as an example, when I served, I couldn't confidently promote a solar image to topic or IOTD simply because I am not experienced enough to tell whether a solar image is truly difficult to obtain.  It's not easy.  So please volunteer here.
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 15:42
uranus7
19 Feb, 2020 18:06
Die Launische Diva
Gabriel - Uranus7
HELLO, SUBMITTERS, REVIEWERS, AND SPECIALLY   JUDGES smileLEASE, BE FAIR AND GIVE TO THE SOLAR IMAGES  MORE ATTENTION AND RESPECT, THAT MEANS A SUITABLE RESPECTABLE PERCENT FOR THE IOD DECISIONS.IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DSO IMAGES HERE.

GABRIEL

Die Launische Diva  -  I feel confident, of course,  on what constitutes a good solar image but I won't give the I.O.D. to myself and also I won't lose the occasion to have one staying out if the monthly percent of Sun IOD will be correct and will be respected. Sure I'm not the one who avoids being involved. Look for Gabriel Corban on Google. The correct status for this site but for all kinds of pictures, including DSO, of course,  is those when the I.O.D's are judged as professionally as possible. Morally speaking, I trust all AP's with international performances from here, because they know how to evaluate, the most correctly.
We cannot let anyone do this unless we want to harm some good AP's. This might be a real key to respect,  for a site like this.
All I want ( what is actually correct) is that from now on the solar images and the AP's that make them, to be evaluated and awarded as IOD in a monthly percentage to be respected. I said at least 5-10 images a month for about 30 days, each month, for now on.

Gabriel
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 18:25
uranus7
19 Feb, 2020 18:14
Alan
If still needed , I would like to serve as a submitter

I agree with you,  to be included in the team, Alan. I trust you.  smile

Gabriel
uranus7
19 Feb, 2020 19:48
Wei-Hao Wang
Wei-Hao Wang

Hello, Wei-Hao Wang.

It is not the ideea of Die Launische Diva.
It is my ideea and my claim.
You made a confusion but doesn't matter.   smile

Thank you for the support it here.

Gabriel
uranus7
19 Feb, 2020 20:14
Salvatore Iovene
Hello,the current IOTD submitters, reviewer, and judges have been in office for over a year now, and I'm a bit late in initiating a refresh, so that:

- we may get some new perspectives,
- the current groups may be relieved from the burden
- other eager volunteers may help!

If you don't know what the "submitters, reviewers, and judges" are, please first read this.

So we need:

• 30/30 submitters
  • 15/15 reviewers
  • 7/7 judges
PLEASE REPLY BELOW FOR WHICH GROUP YOU WOULD LIKE TO VOLUNTEER, AND I WILL KEEP AN UP-TO-DATE LIST OF VOLUNTEERS IN THIS TOP POST.

*** APPLICATION DEADLINE February 14th 2019 ***

Current submitters, reviewers, and judges may volunteer as well.

Thank you in advance!
Hi Salvatore,

I want to repeat here a message which refers to you as administrator but also to the submitters, reviewers and especially to the judges.
Probably the message was not observed till now and I want you all to read it, as a point of view which isn't the only mine and which I think, have to modify the way the I.O.D's is established.  I hope, me and others like me, will have a suitable and deserved reply, for our position.

"HELLO, Submitter, REVIEWERS, AND SPECIALLY   JUDGES :

PLEASE, BE FAIR AND GIVE TO THE SOLAR IMAGES  MORE ATTENTION AND RESPECT, THAT MEANS A SUITABLE RESPECTABLE PERCENT FOR THE I.O.D. DECISIONS.

IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT D.S.O. IMAGES HERE, ON ASTROBIN.
TRY TO GIVE AT LEAST 5-10  I.O.D's  PER MONTH  TO THE SOLAR IMAGES, TOO.
SOMEBODY (PROBABLY THE BEST WILL BE Mr.  SALVATORE)  MUST WATCH THAT SUCH NEW RULE TO BE ACCOMPLISHED.
IT IS NOT FAIR THE WAY THE SUBMITERS, REVIEWERS, AND  JUDGES, SUSTAINED THE SOLAR IMAGE TILL NOW, AS WOULDN'T EXIST AT ALL.

In addition, the annual change of teams, with teams made up of volunteers is not a fair solution, of course. The best perception of quality can only be had by the members who have had great international successes. Otherwise, the notion of quality on this site will dramatically decrease. The good quality of I.O.D's will attract here good quality AP's and will motivate the members to work better without being disappointed.

The correct status for this site but for all kinds of pictures, including DSO, of course,  is those when the I.O.D's are judged as professionally as possible. Morally speaking, I trust all AP's with international performances from here, because they know how to evaluate, the most correctly.
We cannot let anyone do this unless we want to harm some good AP's here. This might be a real key to respect,  for a site like this.
All I want (what is actually correct) is that from now on the solar images and the AP's that make them, to be evaluated and awarded as I.O.D. in a monthly percentage to be respected. I said at least 5-10 images a month for about 30 days, each month, for now on.

WAITING FOR A FAIR, UNBIASED AND NOT OFFENSIVE REPLY, PLEASE.

Regards,
Gabriel
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 20:25
Die_Launische_Diva
19 Feb, 2020 20:33
Gabriel,

With all due respect, this is not the right time to bring on the table a subject which has been extensively discussed in the past. Salvatore has to resolve probably the greatest crisis AstroBin has encountered so far.

If you feel that solar imaging is underrepresented, the best thing to do is volunteer as a submitter and bring more solar images at the reviewer's attention. If you are confident on judging solar images please volunteer as a reviewer. I tend to review images I have experience at and I would be extremely happy if I had an expert solar imager at my side.
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 20:34
Snjór
19 Feb, 2020 20:37
Die Launische Diva
Gabriel,With all due respect, this is not the right time to bring on the table a subject which has been extensively discussed in the past. Salvatore has to resolve probably the greatest crisis AstroBin has encountered so far.

If you feel that solar imaging is underrepresented, the best thing to do is volunteer as a submitter and bring more solar images at the reviewer's attention. If you are confident on judging solar images please volunteer as a reviewer. I tend to review images I have experience at and I would be extremely happy if I had an expert solar imager at my side.

Well stated.
gnomus
19 Feb, 2020 20:44
As a submitter and then a reviewer I quite frequently put forward planetary, lunar and solar images to the next stage.  I may know less about the technical side, but I know what images I like.

I think it would be a very bad idea to run a quota system.   You ask for 5-10 Solar images to be granted IOTD every month - that’s 15-30% by my estimation.  If we did that, we would (in the interests of fairness) have to have a similar quota for Lunar images and for Planetary images.  Should we also have a quota for EAA?  And then we’ll have folks requesting a quota that reflects their own particular interest or situation - be that the expense of their rig, the quality of their sky, or the location of their equipment, etcetera, etcetera.

The system is already quite cumbersome and involves considerable work - and this work is done entirely by volunteers.  This thread is about trying to find a new set of volunteers.  If you want to see more Solar images in the various queues, then why not become a submitter, reviewer or judge.  Of course, you cannot promote your own images, but this does not prevent you from drawing attention to solar imagers in general.
jeffbax
19 Feb, 2020 20:44
Hello Gabriel, if you feel Sun images are not considered enough you should get involved in the team. As a submitter or reviewer your pictures can stay for IOTD. Only the judges images are not considered.

i don't think a fixed percentage is a good idea. It would force the system even when the pictures are poor in a specific period.

For the skills needed to judge. I am not sure that professionnaly is the good way. APOD is the place to post if you want a professionnal approach. I am personnaly very often insensible to APODS and prefer a community which understands the difficulties of being an amator.  Some average images can be great regarding the setup used or when made by a biginner.

Wish hou the best CS.

PS : sorry my english is not standing for LOTD (language of the day)  😄

JF
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 21:20
Ethan
19 Feb, 2020 20:50
Gabriel - Uranus7
I said at least 5-10 images a month for about 30 days, each month, for now on.

Do you have numbers to back up why 16-33% of IOTDs per month should be solar? I took the time to do a census of the first two pages of the Big Wall and came up with these numbers as of a few minutes before this post.

Planetary: 4 images (~3%)
Lunar: 10 (~8%)
Equipment: 3 (~2%)
DSO: 109 (~82%)
Wide: 4 (~3%)
Solar: 0 (0%)
Other: 3 (~3%)
Total: 133

Of course, these numbers fluctuate depending who uploads what and when. However, I don't think it would be enough to justify such a big change in balance. The best solution is to volunteer if you disagree. Wouldn't be surprised if I awarded IOTDs to planetary images at the highest rate among the judges last year. That's the type of astrophotography I focus on.

I like solar images and have no problem with over-representing categories that are in a minority, but having that many awards on a single object is overkill in my opinion, especially during a solar minimum.

–Ethan
Edited 19 Feb, 2020 21:03
nekitmm
19 Feb, 2020 21:11
Gabriel - Uranus7
In addition, the annual change of teams, with teams made up of volunteers is not a fair solution, of course. The best perception of quality can only be had by the members who have had great international successes.

Gabriel - Uranus7
WAITING FOR A FAIR, UNBIASED AND NOT OFFENSIVE REPLY, PLEASE.
Kinda offensive message to begin with. I wouldn't connect 'best perception of quality' with 'international successes', whatever that means. I think everyone should at least be able to be a Submitter. As for the Judges, they are all well established respected APs.

Anyway, as already stated by people above, even without calculating any statistics 5-10 IOTDs per month for solar images is a gross overkill. I don't like the idea of quotas of any kind. Control from Salvatore is not needed either IMO.
Chris-PA
19 Feb, 2020 21:13
I have to echo Die Launische Diva's comment here: Volunteer! Heck - that's one of the reasons I volunteered (FYI: I'm not sure if I'll be accepted as a volunteer at this point).

One of my primary interests is planetary nebulae, and I personally feel that a lot of top notch / jaw-dropping PN images were overlooked this past year in favor of very good (but not amazingly good) emission, dark or reflection nebulae images. (Side note: Just looking at the first page of IOTDs, there are as many PNs selected as there solar images - two each, but there are roughly 12 emission nebulae if you're counting combination reflection/dark/emission nebulae and not counting supernova remnants.) But I'm betting that has a lot to do with the experience factor: I think those who are more familiar with those targets are in a better position to judge whether an image of a particular PN is amazingly good vs. only quite good. Likewise, when it comes to solar images,  I can certainly judge what's good and not so good, but what distinguishes a GREAT solar image from a good one… I'm not so sure about that. It would be great to get you on board so you can help the team with that.
uranus7
19 Feb, 2020 22:01
Die Launische Diva
confident on judging solar images

Sorry, with all my respect but…I am not confident on judging solar images.

Gabriel
tolgagumus
19 Feb, 2020 22:09
Gabriel - Uranus7
TRY TO GIVE AT LEAST 5-10  I.O.D's  PER MONTH  TO THE SOLAR IMAGES, TOO.
So you are saying 1 object should get 10 IOTDs per month and 1000s of other objects should get 20 per month?

Register or login to create to post a reply.