Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree

New volunteers needed for the IOTD selection board 2019

sypai
25 Jan, 2019 13:08
Hello Salvatore!
You may consider me for the next period as a volunteer for a submitter or reviewer if it still actual.
koten90
25 Jan, 2019 15:43
Hello Salvatore,
I'm getting more and more active on this site and I'm available as Submitter and/or Reviewer
Edited 27 Jan, 2019 10:01
cosmophoton
26 Jan, 2019 22:29
Dear Salvatore,

I would like to volunteer as reviewer.
whale
27 Jan, 2019 02:39
I would like to volunteer to be a submitter

cheers

Nicholas Jones
whale
27 Jan, 2019 02:47
Andy
Andy
# 18 Jan, 2019 10:45
Prior to declaring my continued involvement - Can we please have clarification on the following - Are judges/submitters/reviewers images acceptable for consideration for IOTD?
Cheers

Andy
I thing being a Judge is a clear conflict of interest. Maybe volunteer as a submitter instead

cheers

Nick
regis83
27 Jan, 2019 06:27
Nicholas Jones
Andy
Andy# 18 Jan, 2019 10:45
Prior to declaring my continued involvement - Can we please have clarification on the following - Are judges/submitters/reviewers images acceptable for consideration for IOTD?
Cheers

Andy
I thing being a Judge is a clear conflict of interest. Maybe volunteer as a submitter instead

cheers

Nick

Submitters / Reviewers or Judges can't voting for their own pictures.
This rule is very clear.

Régis
Edited 27 Jan, 2019 06:27
carlocolombo
27 Jan, 2019 06:50
Carlo Colombo
carissimo Salvatore, perciò che mi riguarda sono ben felice di essere utile a Astrobin in qualsiasi modo, sono un vecchio in pensione  tempo ne ho  se si tratta astronomia,  mi rimetto alla tua conoscenza che hai di A strobin e penso che tu sappia se posso continuare a esserti utile, un caro saluto    c.colombo
siovene
27 Jan, 2019 20:08
Hello everybody,
I will hijack this thread because there seems to be some confusion about whether or not judges can win IOTD.

As things are now, submitters and reviewers can win an IOTD, but judges cannot. Their images do not enter the IOTD selection queue.

Now the question is, should we change this? Implementing the change would not be too difficult, so let's just think about the pros and the cons.

Pros:
  • more people would volunteer to be a judge
  • this would lead to more amazing IOTD because we are not keeping some images out of the process
Cons:
  • conflict of interest
Obviously judges would not be able to vote for their own images, but I can see how two judges might vote for each other's images. This can be made more difficult to achieve by hiding a judge's own image from his or her view of the queue, so they wouldn't know they are up for IOTD anyway, but two judges who have agreed to support each other wouldn't even be impacted by that, as they could see each other's images.

Personally, I have enough trust in you guys that I don't think this would be an issue, but I would leave it up to you all to decide. So here's an online poll:

https://goo.gl/forms/IMS8oMq1kPHAcHCQ2

Please only answer once.

If you think judges should be allowed to enter the competition, and have ideas on how to make the process fair, please let me know!

Thanks,
Salvatore
chuantian
28 Jan, 2019 03:06
Hello Salvatore
      I am really interested in it and would like to be a Submitter or Reviewer.
Tian Lee
Jean-Baptiste_Paris
28 Jan, 2019 22:06
Salvatore Iovene
https://goo.gl/forms/IMS8oMq1kPHAcHCQ2Please only answer once.

If you think judges should be allowed to enter the competition, and have ideas on how to make the process fair, please let me know!
Done ! smile

One of the most evident way to make the process fair if allowing judges to compete, would be to make public the votes for IOTD.
Very efficient, but maybe excessive ! smile

jb
grsotnas
29 Jan, 2019 00:43
Dear Salvatore, I'd be happy to continue my role as a reviewer.

If new people want to get involved in the reviewing process, and submitters are needed, I will also be happy to help as a submitter.

Best regards,
Gabriel
BastiH
05 Feb, 2019 08:57
Dear Salvatore,
dear AB community,
for the past year I was a submitter. I would like to experience a different function as well, so for this year I volunteer as a reviewer if those are still needed.
CS
Basti
diegocolonnello
05 Feb, 2019 09:04
If Judges become eligible or IOTD i will be more than happy to continue as a JUDGE in Astrobin… Thanks so much for considering it!!!   smile
siovene
05 Feb, 2019 11:24
Diego Colonnello
If Judges become eligible or IOTD i will be more than happy to continue as a JUDGE in Astrobin… Thanks so much for considering it!!!   smile

The results of the poll I posted in this thread indicate that most of the people do not want Judges to be eligible.
diegocolonnello
05 Feb, 2019 11:33
Well, this is sad… and maybe unfair… but it is what it is… thanks so much Salvatore for allowing me participate as a judge… i have learnt A LOT…
Die_Launische_Diva
05 Feb, 2019 12:00
If there are more than 7 persons who qualify as Judges, we can assign a new Judges board more frequently (say per quarter). When Judges are on board they should not be eligible, but when they are not, they will be free to contest. This seems win-win for me; more Judges meaning less bias (if any), less work for them, and while not judging, they will be free to be eligible for the IOTD :-)
siovene
05 Feb, 2019 12:08
Very good idea!
ark@kctw.cn
05 Feb, 2019 16:02
I am the manager of Gemini astronomical observatories, the largest amateur astronomical observatories in China. With more than 20 years' experience in astronomical photography, I apply to be a new examiner or judge.
tolgagumus
05 Feb, 2019 17:19
Hi Salvatore,

I volunteer as a judge with the understanding that I will not be eligible for IOTD.
Andys_Astropix
05 Feb, 2019 19:47
Quaterly staff appointments is an interesting idea, but it’s already been six weeks past our current term and we still don’t have a new Judging team onboard so I doubt it’s possible to changeover roles that quickly. Maybe every 6 months?
Arringar
07 Feb, 2019 00:33
Tolga
Hi Salvatore,I volunteer as a judge with the understanding that I will not be eligible for IOTD.

I feel the same about submitter or reviewer.  I volunteer for either under the same conditions.
2ghouls
07 Feb, 2019 17:42
I volunteer to be a submitter if more are still needed.
Thanks, Nico
siovene
10 Feb, 2019 11:06
Hello,
I just closed the topic as we are past the deadline. Here is the current list of volunteers

Submitters

equinoxx
Jens Zippel
Astro Nick
Sigga
Gianluca Galloni
Kevin Morefield
Carlo Colombo
Miguel Morales
Zhuoqun Wu
StephanHamel
Arringar
-Amenophis-
Dhaval Brahmbhatt
regis83
Barry Wilson
Pavel (sypai) Syrin
Nicholas Jones
李天
Arringar
Nico Carver

Reviewers

Die Launische Diva
Steve Milne
Frank Breslawski
 Jarrett Trezzo
Jean-Baptiste Auroux
Rick Stevenson
Gianni Cerrato
Duczmal
Gabriel R. Santos...
BastiH
Andy

Judges

Hartmuth Kintzel
Ethan & Geo Chappel
keithlt
Péter Feltóti
ark
Tolga

I will start sending invitations now (please check your notifications!).

I will leave about a week of cross-over, i.e. both old staff and new staff working together, to avoid risking an interruption of service, then I will remove the old staff from their assignments.

Thank you all, volunteers! The IOTD would not work without you!

Salvatore
Edited 10 Feb, 2019 13:17

This topic was closed by a moderator.