HEQ5 - What is the largest refractor it will take - Esprit 120? Generic equipment discussions · midnight_lightning · ... · 9 · 628 · 0

midnight_lightning 0.00
I would like to upgrade from an Esprit 80 to a 100mm - 115mm Refractor for AP.

Of course I want everything (I know I wont get it!) - superb image quality, low F ratio, long focal length, preferably not too expensive but this is the last scope I will buy so it has to be good.

What would you recommend ?
Edited ...
Erlend_Langsrud 0.90
You can't go wrong with an FSQ 106ED.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to use an eq5 with a 100mm refractor. I don't think it's much less accurate than an eq6. I have used an FSQ with a sphinx mount, and a friend of mine  does AP with an eq3 and a 100mm f/6 refractor(!) . It's possible, but wind or a slight touch is likely to ruin the exposere if the mount is too light.

So all in all, if you want to buy an expensive refractor like Espirit 120, I really reccomend that you upgrade to EQ-6.
koten90
Erlend Langsrud:
I'm pretty sure it is possible to use an eq5 with a 100mm refractor.

I actually have a Sharpstar 100Q setup (total of 10,5kg) on a CEM25 and I can take 1800s shots.

If you balance really good, I think HEQ5 can carry also a 130mm Triplet or a 200mm newtonian/SC/RC.
midnight_lightning 0.00
Thanks for the replies. Things have moved on since I originally posted and I have look at the Tak (too expensive for me) and various 4".

I had a WO GT 102 recommended and have put down a deposit as I have always though WO made good scopes.

But since then I have been looking for reviews of the GT102 and I have only found one review, from years ago, and only one mention on youtube.

I'm wondering if I am making a mistake, cant find any recommendations for the GT102?
CzarPeppers 0.00
Alessio Pariani:
Erlend Langsrud:
I'm pretty sure it is possible to use an eq5 with a 100mm refractor.
I actually have a Sharpstar 100Q setup (total of 10,5kg) on a CEM25 and I can take 1800s shots.

If you balance really good, I think HEQ5 can carry also a 130mm Triplet or a 200mm newtonian/SC/RC.
Yeah I use a Skywatcher Quattro 200P on my HEQ5. I have to make sure to balance it very well, but it works nicely, even though I'm pretty much right at the weight limit of the mount. However I'm still experimenting with whether it is better to balance the right ascension normally or with a slight bias.
midnight_lightning 0.00
It would be interested to know how your weight bias works out - I do the same but haven’t actually tested it to see if it helps
carastro 8.04
For weight aspects, I use an ED120 on mine, and also use a dual rig, SW ED80, WOZS71 and a Skywatcher Guidescope Mount to mount the dual rig plus Atik cameras and EFWs, so if you add up the weight of these it might give you some idea.

Carole
midnight_lightning 0.00
Thanks Carol, I went for a GT102 in the end - arrived 2 minutes ago
carastro 8.04
CzarPeppers 0.00
It would be interested to know how your weight bias works out - I do the same but haven’t actually tested it to see if it helps
Well I did that test, I found for me personally it is far better to just balance it without the bias. But that might be because my rig is pretty close to my mount's weight limit.

Register or login to create to post a reply.