Can anyone tell me what the moving object is in the little red box in this animation of Comet 132P/Helin-Roman-Alu 2? Other · Rob Calfee · ... · 11 · 383 · 5

Robcafe51 7.53
· 
Can anyone tell me what the moving object is in the little red box in this animation of Comet 132P/Helin-Roman-Alu 2?

https://www.astrobin.com/5317ug/

andreatax 7.22
· 
·  1 like
It looks like an asteroid. As I haven't got a time I can't really check. Goto to MPC and check yourself with the actual date and time:

https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/mpc.html
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
andrea tasselli:
It looks like an asteroid. As I haven't got a time I can't really check. Goto to MPC and check yourself with the actual date and time:

https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/mpc.html

Will do. Thanks for pointing to this link!
DarkStar 18.84
· 
·  4 likes
Hi Rob,

I just made some checks with ASTAP which can automatically detect and identify objects not contained in start DB. The object was clearly identified as not in DB (though I had only very poor quality pulling the coarse data from the gif and got some false positive), but since I have no precise time and observing location an automatic identification is not possible.
But you can try it out with one of your original images and precise data. It should be easy to identify.

CS
Rüdiger

2021-11-27_19h55_50.png
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  1 like
Ruediger:
Hi Rob,

I just made some checks with ASTAP which can automatically detect and identify objects not contained in start DB. The object was clearly identified as not in DB (though I had only very poor quality pulling the coarse data from the gif and got some false positive), but since I have no precise time and observing location an automatic identification is not possible.
But you can try it out with one of your original images and precise data. It should be easy to identify.

CS
Rüdiger

2021-11-27_19h55_50.png

Thanks. I’ll download the software and give it a shot after the Michigan game with the original subs.
CCDMike 5.02
· 
·  2 likes
It's always a good idea to try ASTAP for identifying asteroids.
It will use time and location ( if given in the TIFF header) to identify all asteroids in the MPC data.

Best regards
Mike
ManuelCP 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Based on MPChecker, it might well be the asteroid (877) Walküre. While 132P/Helin-Roman-Alu  was at:  00 41 46.7 -02 51 46 ,   (877) Walküre  was at:  00 41 23.2 -02 42 56.
CS
Manuel
Edited ...
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  2 likes
Manuel Peitsch:
Based on MPChecker, it might well be the asteroid (877) Walküre. While 132P/Helin-Roman-Alu  was at:  00 41 46.7 -02 51 46 ,   (877) Walküre  was at:  00 41 23.2 -02 42 56.
CS
Manuel

Just after you posted this I saw that on ASTAP. Never knew about this program so I appreciate everyone's help here. Always learning. (I had flipped the images for a better look)Screenshot 2021-11-27 173126.jpg
DarkStar 18.84
· 
·  2 likes
Thanks for the feedback! That is science as science could be - a theory followed by proof of evidence.
Yes, ASTAP is an excellent tool. One of the fastest universal plate solvers and contains tons of helpful tools. It is actively developed. Almost every day a new version with new cool functions. And the best: It is for free.

CS
Rüdiger
Edited ...
ManuelCP 1.81
· 
·  2 likes
Thanks for pointing out ASTAP. Will download ASAP. CS. Manuel
ManuelCP 1.81
· 
·  2 likes
I just installed ASTAP and used it on some frames I took of 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko ... worked fine ... and found out that (281) Lucretia was on the same frames!  Thanks again @Ruediger for your help and @Rob Calfee for triggering this with your question! 
CS
Manuel
67P-Churyumov–Gerasimenko_Lucretia_1hr mvmt.jpg
Edited ...
DarkStar 18.84
· 
·  1 like
Manuel Peitsch:
Thanks again @Ruediger for your help

You are welcome!

Register or login to create to post a reply.