I am on the verge of getting a new 0.3 A H-a filter for my solar imaging. So I thought it would be a good time to explore a new camera. Currently I use a Point-Grey Grasshopper 3 GigE with a 150 mm f/33 folded refractor and a 0.55 A Daystar filter. I ordered a QHY 178 mini to replace the Grasshopper. And yes, I know it has small pixels and the 174 might have been a better choice, but it's just a test. And I thought the extra pixels might be useful with the long focal length of the folded refractor.

I have tried out the 178 on several days and am not sure that the camera is set up correctly. My strategy in setting up the exposure with the 178 is to simply adjust Gain and Exposure in Firecapture so as to position the histogram peak just over the halfway point. That always worked with the Grasshopper. The captures with the 178 seem to be a whole lot grainer then with the Grasshopper, even though the histograms are broader. BTW, I have also experimented with the Gamma setting with mixed results.

My question is about the other settings in Firecapture that might be used to reduce noise with this camera. Are there other things that should be adjusted? And if there are, what should they be, or how can I determine what they should be?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eric