Have you Had to Replace your Desiccant? ASI 6200 MM Pro · Jerry Yesavage · ... · 33 · 608 · 4

This topic contains a poll.
Have you Had to Replace you Desiccant?
Yes
No
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  3 likes
Well, I have learned two things:

1.  You can get the DEW ON YOUR FLATS!!!!  Took me hours to realize why when I raised the temp above freezing I still got the dots!  Recently took some new flats... the old ones were Ok for government work... it was only on the RGB flats that were taken first!

2.  The slow cool down I mentioned above with 15 minutes to get to 2 and the 35 minutes to get to -5 seemed to work (with the right flats).  I will have to use this procedure when taking flats too.  I think -5 will be OK, but for intellectual (obsessional) reasons I will try to modify the script to get down to -10. 

I think this goes under the heading of Good News, but I say that with trepidation.
PathIntegral 5.01
· 

1.  You can get the DEW ON YOUR FLATS!!!!  Took me hours to realize why when I raised the temp above freezing I still got the dots!  Recently took some new flats... the old ones were Ok for government work... it was only on the RGB flats that were taken first!

2.  The slow cool down I mentioned above with 15 minutes to get to 2 and the 35 minutes to get to -5 seemed to work (with the right flats).  I will have to use this procedure when taking flats too.  I think -5 will be OK, but for intellectual (obsessional) reasons I will try to modify the script to get down to -10. 

I think this goes under the heading of Good News, but I say that with trepidation.

I don’t think you need to cool your camera at all when taking flats.
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  1 like
Yuxuan:

Maybe you are right, but the noise will be different.
PathIntegral 5.01
· 
·  1 like
Yuxuan:

Maybe you are right, but the noise will be different.

For such a strong signal, the SNR is very large and the noise is negligible. If your exposure time is very long and there is amp glow, you can correct it with dark flats taken at the same temperature.
Edited ...
SunJao 0.00
· 
Basic question:
Do light flats work well if they do not have dew or ice when matched with the lights that have dew or ice?
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  1 like
IMHO, I think they would work but you would still get the ice artifact from the lights.  What I painfully discovered is that I had the artifact on my RGB flats....  I am still doing OK with the slow (50m) cool to -5.
GaryI
· 
·  1 like
Jerry, good to hear that your slow cool to -5 is still working!  I would have bet that it would have stopped working by now, based on my experience.  But I am not a patient man, so I may not have ever given it 50m.
DarkStar 18.84
· 
Jim Mauck:
Basic question:
Do light flats work well if they do not have dew or ice when matched with the lights that have dew or ice?

No, that won’t work. Had this issue. This is the same effect as not corrected dust. Visibility depends how ice forms. Cristals will cause also additional reflections, homogenous dew will will be noticeable in dark image areas.
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  2 likes
Gary ImmJerry, good to hear that your slow cool to -5 is still working!  I would have bet that it would have stopped working by now, based on my experience.  But I am not a patient man, so I may not have ever given it 50m.

Not very patient either, but using a script.  Rather embarrassing how crude this is but....

Timage.png

This is what it looks like when running, if not familiar with ACP:

image.png
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.