Troubles with flats KODAK 8300 sensor · Firas Haki · ... · 3 · 53 · 1

SilverLynx 0.00
Hello,
I am wondering how you guys go round taking flats that works for you.
Since I have switched to Newtonian telescope (TS-8 ONTC f/5), flats aren't calibrating out  the dust, and has a minimal effect on flattening out the image.
I aim with SGP to reach 30K or 35k ADU with my Moravian G2-8300, using ledpanel covered with white cloth and placed on the telescope front. Telescope in zenith position.  Histogram then reaches a little over half, which worked before with a refractor. Is it essential to reach on third of the Histogram? Could that be the issue?
Any ideas?
I really don't want to through away 40 hours of material   QUOTEQUOTE SELECTEDEDIT
chlopak 0.00
Try to make flats with 10-20k. Maybe what you see is non-linearity of the camera.
whitfieldp 1.20
I go for 23k which seems to work fairly well. I seem to remember that being recommended as a good target for my QHY9 by the folk at QHYCCD. Having a mechanical shutter complicates things when trying for long-enough exposures with broad-band filters. The professional literature say 5s but I try to make sure I'm over 2s even when I'm in a hurry. That's hard to do but I got a Pegasus Flatmaster that controls precisely and is quite dim as these things go (too dim for narrow-band but I have another panel for those)
Ecliptico 1.91
In my case, I use a white t-shirt and a white full screen Ipad on top of my refractor pointing straight up as if you were imaging at the zenith (doing otherwise, I would drop the ipad!). Try something similar with your newtonian.  I use the sky flats assistant addin for MaximDL (http://winfij.com/maximdl/skyflats.html) at 25k ADU, a minimum of 20 flat frames for each filter  and works perfectly well. The integration process is done with DSS. Use whatever software you prefer, it should work.

Register or login to create to post a reply.