Additional comments re: Gain & offset settings for the 2600MC Pro ZWO ASI 2600MC PRO · Stargazer66207 · ... · 3 · 288 · 0

Stargazer66207 1.81
· 
·  2 likes
Group:

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the gain and offset settings for this fine camera. First, I am not an expert nor an imaging guru. I just like to produce "pretty pictures".  I have had my 2600MC Pro in operation since last fall. When I first started using it, I always used the selection in the ZWO setup menu of "lowest read noise", which produces a gain of 100.  The images produced with this setting were pretty, but a few months ago I read an article on one of the imaging forums about the advantages of using Zero Gain.  On my next imaging session, when I opened up the setup menu, I selected Zero as the gain setting, and saw that this is also the gain that results from using the menu selection "Highest Dynamic Range".   I have used this setting since then. One thing I noticed is that at this setting the stars do not seem to be over-saturated, and the star colors are much richer.
By the way, I should mention that my imaging site is Bortle 3, and I always use sub-exposures ranging from 120 seconds to 240 seconds.

Just thought I'd pass my thoughts along, as added fodder to this discussion.
Cheers,
Stargazer66207
AliAlhawas 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Well.. It depends on several things such as site bortle , seeing , temperature, do you have more time or you have only 2-3 hours, target type..
I tried both gains Zero and 100,, you will get something and lose something.. !
In Zero gain you will get dynamic range but slower and with noise,
In gain 100 you will get less noise and faster but you will lose HDR..
As I am limited in time and site is bortle 2 I always use gain 100.. but lose a little bit of HDR.
So.. before you start your imaging session, do 2 images as a test.. one with Zero and the other with 100 and see which is better for you.
Good luck!
DaleChamberlain 0.90
· 
I am in Bortle 5 and always use Gain 100. Plus I do a lot of narrowband imaging.
Stargazer66207 1.81
· 
Dale,
If you're doing long exposures for narrowband, then Gain 100 is probably a good idea. The only filter in my image train is an IDAS UV/IR blocker.
Stargazer66207

Register or login to create to post a reply.