Gear Listing to link up to group. ZWO ASI1600MM/QHY163M · Chris White- Overcast Observatory · ... · 9 · 233 · 0

Overcast_Observatory 20.43
One of the problems with Astrobin is that each piece of equipment can be listed a half dozen different ways when you add gear to your profile.  How do you list the camera in this group so that images produced with it automatically are included?

In my profile its listed as:
MAKE: ZWO
NAME: ASI1600MM-Cool

What should it be?

I wish Abin had an "official" gear list so that everyone inputting gear was forced to do it the same way.  It would make searching for images made using specific gear much better.  As it is you need to do multiple searches for the same piece of gear with all the variations it was input by to find a comprehensive list of images...
rjbokleman 0.00
Chris,

Totally agree.  I often struggle with this as well.  The reason is that if you're interested in see what others are doing with specific equipment before you buy the same thing...it can be a real challenge.
Miguel_Morales 1.51
I'll second your suggestion about an official gear list, and I'll enter my camera just like yours as soon as Hurricane Matthew gets out of my way and lets me use my new camera!
Thirteen 0.00
Chris, I'd recommend making that suggestion to Salvatore as an improvement.   I agree.    Unfortunately all the legacy equipment listings may be a problem, but being able to move forward with consistency would be a huge plus.
Jason Guenzel:
Chris, I'd recommend making that suggestion to Salvatore as an improvement.   I agree.    Unfortunately all the legacy equipment listings may be a problem, but being able to move forward with consistency would be a huge plus.

I'll do that.  (Just tried but got a fatal error from the server).  Will follow-up later and try to reach Salvatore.

In the mean-time, does anyone know how this group currently designates this camera?

-Chris
siovene
Hi Chris,
thanks for the suggestion. Having an official list of equipment is definitely high in my list. I plan to tackle this early in 2017.

Regarding the tying of groups and equipment, there currently is none. I.e. images taken with certain equipment don't end up in a group automatically. Groups are more of a "free content" thingy.

And finally, feel free in the future to post things like this in one of the default AstroBin forums, instead of a group like this. I had to join just to post this :-)
Salvatore Iovene:
Hi Chris,thanks for the suggestion. Having an official list of equipment is definitely high in my list. I plan to tackle this early in 2017.

Regarding the tying of groups and equipment, there currently is none. I.e. images taken with certain equipment don't end up in a group automatically. Groups are more of a "free content" thingy.

And finally, feel free in the future to post things like this in one of the default AstroBin forums, instead of a group like this. I had to join just to post this :-)

Thanks Salvatore.  When Jon created the group it was set up as an automatic submission group, which I had understood would submit content when that gear type was used.  Perhaps it was my misunderstanding.  That is why I posted the question here.  ;)

Otherwise, thanks for your reply, and great to hear it is something already on your radar!
Clear skies,

-Chris
Edited ...
siovene
Hmm I can see why you made that assumption, but autosubmission means that all images by all members are automatically included in the group without a need for people to manually submit single images.
Salvatore Iovene:
Hmm I can see why you made that assumption, but autosubmission means that all images by all members are automatically included in the group without a need for people to manually submit single images.

Yup... I misread Jon's post on CN.  http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/550535-zwo-asi1600mm-group-on-astrobin/?hl=%2Bzwo+%2Basi1600mm+%2Bgroup#entry7439077

He stated that it's a manual submission group NOT automatic.  My mistake.

Sorry for the confusion, but glad you found this thread!
jrista 7.93
The group is a manual submission group as that is the only way to restrict it in any fashion. At the moment there is no support for actual filtrations to prevent images from being submitted that may not have been taken with a particular camera.

I keep meaning to ask Salvatore if it might be possible to configure auto-submission groups to filter the submissions by existing gear profiles and/or keywords. As a programmer myself, given how ad-hoc and arbitrary the categorization system here currently is, such a feature could be pretty complicated. There might be some things Salvatore might need to do first (such as gear synonyms, so that multiple wordings of a given piece of gear can be configured as synonyms for a single root gear profile), which could simplify filtered auto-submissions.

Anyway, I haven't gotten around to asking him about any of that yet. I'll try to get to it this weekend, see what he has to say.

Register or login to create to post a reply.