ASI 2600 Mono Anything goes · Rodd Dryfoos · ... · 23 · 852 · 2

RAD
Yay...It is coming...Before I order one the following must hold

1) The sensor window MUST be coated throwing no diffraction patterns like the ASI 1600
2) Can use 36 mm filters
3) Can use the same filter wheel that I use with ASI 1600
4) Must have 2 USB ports on camera; 1 for Filter wheel and 1 for guide cam
5) Supports hardware binning.

Preferable
1) the camera has the same back focus as the ASI1600--so all I need do is switch cameras with no thought of figuring out spacer requirements

2) Can do ROI so I can use the camera for lunar work (Planetary too).

Does anyone know about these things?  If these hold, its dooable.
Allinthehead 0.90
·  1 like
Hi Rodd, I can answer the first question. The protect window on the Asi1600mm was not the cause of the diffraction pattern. All cameras with the Panasonic sensor had the same issue.

Richard.
HegAstro 11.87
·  1 like
That sensor is basically a smaller version of the one on the  ASI6200MM. Pretty sure (1) will hold. Would also imagine they will have a resistance heater in the front to prevent dew issues. I've had dew problems with the 1600 in the Midwest and had to buy their resistance heater to stick on the front of the camera.

You could also get a pretty good sense of (4) and (5) by looking at the 6200.

I'm personally looking forward to that camera as well.

As Richard notes, the reflections on the ASI1600 were caused  by a lack of AR coating on the microlenses of the Panasonic sensor, not the outer protect window of the camera. Sony's sensors have applications in DSLRs and mirrorless cameras used for terrestrial photogrpahy, so pretty sure their microlenses will have an AR coating, otherwise you'll run into major problems with things like streetlights in night photography.
Edited ...
RAD
That sensor is basically a smaller version of the one on the  ASI6200MM. Pretty sure (1) will hold. Would also imagine they will have a resistance heater in the front to prevent dew issues. I've had dew problems with the 1600 in the Midwest and had to buy their resistance heater to stick on the front of the camera.

You could get a pretty good sense of (4) and (5) by looking at the 6200 as well.

I'm personally looking forward to that camera as well.

Yes--there is a pretty extensive heater as you suggest.  i saw a diagram of it.  Its like the one you bought (I bought it too) but it is built into the face plate and covers all of it.  Its like the one we have but built in.  I was told that the earlier versions of the 1600 had more issues with dew.  For the later ones I was told the heater is unnecessary as the cooling fans are supposed to vent over the sensor somehow.  I have only had issues during times when, quite frankly, I should not have been imaging.  For $19 I figured why not.  I just hope it didn't screw with my sensor placement.  At F3 it doesn't take much.
RAD
Hi Rodd, I can answer the first question. The protect window on the Asi1600mm was not the cause of the diffraction pattern. All cameras with the Panasonic sensor had the same issue.

Richard.

So the 2600 won't have it...that is good to know.  I just wish they had come out without 2 years ago so i din't have to buy 2 cameras.
Allinthehead 0.90
·  1 like
Just to add, back focus will most likely be 17.5mm with the tilt plate. The plate is removable but then you'll need to bolt on the filter wheel but I'm not sure if the filter wheel you have will be compatible.
RAD
Just to add, back focus will most likely be 17.5mm with the tilt plate. The plate is removable but then you'll need to bolt on the filter wheel but I'm not sure if the filter wheel you have will be compatible.

*How about with the tilt plate (its a useful thing anyway).  I can live with having to get a new adapter.  getting a new filter wheel may be another story
mxcoppell 8.31
I believe IMX571 is AR coated. And 2600mm-Pro utilizes AR protective window (in the manual). So it's AR-AR.
mxcoppell 8.31
I do have a question about the filter size for APS-C sensor. Is 36mm enough? I hate to get another set of 50mm. Anybody got hands-on experiences?
RAD
Min Xie:
I do have a question about the filter size for APS-C sensor. Is 36mm enough? I hate to get another set of 50mm. Anybody got hands-on experiences?

*I was told 36 mm will work.  Would like to verify this though--and I want to use the same filter wheel.  I suppose I can handle getting new spacers.
lakerunr 0.00
·  1 like
36mm filters will work. For faster rigs (f3 or faster), they may be marginal with current M42 threaded 7x36mm EFW filter wheel. But they will be coming out with a new 7x36 EFW that is designed to bolt directly to the camera face, like the 2" filter wheel for the ASI6200MM. This will allow removal of the 5mm tilt adjuster/adapter which will bring filters closer to sensor. Should improve performance with faster optics. It would also enable using the M68 OAG.

I have the camera on pre-order. I will be using the current 7x36mm EFW and Antlia 36mm filters. My fastest rig currently is f4. I'm not using an OAG currently.
RAD
Larry S:
36mm filters will work. For faster rigs (f3 or faster), they may be marginal with current M42 threaded 7x36mm EFW filter wheel. But they will be coming out with a new 7x36 EFW that is designed to bolt directly to the camera face, like the 2" filter wheel for the ASI6200MM. This will allow removal of the 5mm tilt adjuster/adapter which will bring filters closer to sensor. Should improve performance with faster optics. It would also enable using the M68 OAG.

I have the camera on pre-order. I will be using the current 7x36mm EFW and Antlia 36mm filters. My fastest rig currently is f4. I'm not using an OAG currently.

*hmmm.  I shoot at F3 with FSQ. It will be interesting hear the results using the old filter wheel. I would like to keep the tilt plate Though, otherwise tilt will be harder to deal with
Edited ...
lakerunr 0.00
·  1 like
ZWO shows moving the tilt adapter to the telescope side of the OAG when using bolt-on filter wheel (M54 and M68 models). I would assume it would be good to have the imaging and OAG cameras in the same plane, i.e. both tilted together. It looks like you could bolt the tilt plate to the telescope side of the bolt-on EFW. I've not dealt with tilt issues, as yet, so just speculating.
RAD
·  1 like
Larry S:
ZWO shows moving the tilt adapter to the telescope side of the OAG when using bolt-on filter wheel (M54 and M68 models). I would assume it would be good to have the imaging and OAG cameras in the same plane, i.e. both tilted together. It looks like you could bolt the tilt plate to the telescope side of the bolt-on EFW. I've not dealt with tilt issues, as yet, so just speculating.

Tilt is for the sensor. I am not sure it makes sense to put it off camera. If you tilt the filter wheel you tilt the filters with respect to the light passing through them.   It seems s but nuts to move the tilt plate. It is no doubt much easier to get a new adapter than it is to attached the tilt plate somewhere else so that it functions
XCalRocketMan 3.71
I have this camera on pre-order as well - have been waiting for it to be released as soon as I heard all the praise for it's big brother (6200).  The only concern I have is the added backfocus (17.5mm).  Might require me to replace my Celestron OAG for thinner one when I use it on the EdgeHD11.
I currently have the ASI1600 Pro mm which I love, but this new camera seems like it will fix most, if not all the issues on the ASI1600.
MF 0.00
How can those 36mm filters work when sensor has 44mm diagonal?
Edits: ups sry, its 2600 not 6200, my bad.
Edited ...
RAD
How can those 36mm filters work when sensor has 44mm diagonal?
Edits: ups sry, its 2600 not 6200, my bad.

It might be necessary to remove the tilt step even with the 2600. I am not sure.  I wouldn’t want to do that though
dcartes 1.43
I was just thinking about the same questions, specially the one about the AR Coatings. The microlensing issue has been one of the major drawbacks of the ASI 1600, as disturbs the pictures taken of astrophotography classics like the Horsehead Nebula or the Pleiades. I really hope the ASI 2600 doesn't have this or other major problems,  so i can start saving for a new camera
mxcoppell 8.31
Just trying to share. Even the IMX455 based ASI6200mm has the microlensing effect. This is very obvious when using the iSloan NIR filter.
RAD
Min Xie:
Just trying to share. Even the IMX455 based ASI6200mm has the microlensing effect. This is very obvious when using the iSloan NIR filter.

this is the first I have heard of this.  Any examples?
nachtaktiv 0.00
Min Xie:

Please link some picture of the microlens effect on the ASI6200, thank you
Edited ...
mxcoppell 8.31
·  1 like
Sure...

Here is a region of NGC2244, FSQ-106EDX, ASI6200mm-Pro, and Chroma iSloan 50mm.

image.png

16 300s Gain0 Stack.

But I have to be clear - this only happens on iSloan. All other filters LRGBHSO all good and no such symptoms.

Cheers,
-Min
Edited ...
RAD
Min Xie:
Sure...

Here is a region of NGC2244, FSQ-106EDX, ASI6200mm-Pro, and Chroma iSloan 50mm.

image.png

16 300s Gain0 Stack.

But I have to be clear - this only happens on iSloan. All other filters LRGBHSO all good and no such symptoms.

Cheers,
-Min

I was going to say I never get the micro lending artifact with the asi 1600  at short focal lengths like with the FSQ.  Only at focal lengths over 700 mm.  That filter is the culprit. What is it good for?
mxcoppell 8.31
Could be. It's a near Infrared filter. For targets like IC434, I got microlensing all over with Astrodon B & G filters on the FSQ-85EDX/ASI1600mm-Pro.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.