Your best upgrades for under $100 Anything goes · Brian Boyle · ... · 56 · 2105 · 4

profbriannz 16.10
·  10 likes
This hobby is expensive.

But some things come cheap and have a huge return on investment.  After a year in the hobby, I thought I would list my top 6.

I would be really interested to heat from more experienced folks on the site whether there are other inexpensive items that make a big difference.

1) Head torch.  It gets dark at night.  But a good head torch with red and multiple white light settings is a must, for the rare occasions when things don't quite go according to plan.

2) Rubber wrenches.  I am old.  I can't undo filters, or extensions tube from cameras without giving myself a hernia or mutilating aforementioned extension tubes.  Rubbers wrenches work.

3) Free trial of PixInsight.  OK, so I cheated a little there.  But seriously this is a stupendous package for DSO processing.  Of course, even better (for planetary imaging) are Registax and Autostakkert - which are free!!  But as a Mac fanboy, I had to buy  a Windows emulator.   I guess a 14-day free trial of a Windows emulator also counts.

4) A decent star atlas.  Again, I am old.  But I like physical copies of things.  I don't want to be waving my iPhone/iPad around at night using a VR app.  Give me paper anyday.  The best star atlas for me is Bracken's AP sky atlas.  It gives me sizes, brightness of DSO - and even a list of the top 93 DSO targets.  Move over Caldwell, I an going for the Bracken list.  [Its just a shame the maps aren't grouped in RA as per the S&T Pocket sky atlas]

5) A decent book about AP.  OK, so much of what I said for 4 applies to 5.  Paper rules.  And Bracken rules again.  His guide to DSO AP is brilliant.  And covers pretty much all you need to know including comprehensive PI and PS tutorials.

6) Black insulating tape.  As professional astronomer, I discovered that a piece of instrumentation was never finished until it had a piece of black tape on it somewhere.  I find the same is true for this hobby.  Great for removing annoying red lights from drives, power sources.  A bit irritating when you have to peel it off to check that @#$! thing is powered up.

Honorable mention to extension tubes and Allen keys, but mostly the expensive telescope/camera stuff comes with the right tools.
whwang 11.48
·  3 likes
1) Registar, $179.  Sorry this is higher than the $100 threshold you asked, but I would say this is as big as anything else I had acquired regardless of price.  This software and its capability defines my work and style for more than a decade.  So if we divide the price with time, I think its price is comparable to those $100 ones that last for less than 10 years.

2) A 12V to 110V converter.  It allows me to draw power from my Prius in the field to be used by the camera, laptop, equatorial mount, and dew heater. I don't need to bring a generator nor an extremely heavy deep cycle battery to the field, thanks to this small thing.

3) TheSky 6. I am still using 6.  I am not sure if its price was under $100, but I got mine almost free.  The price to pay was to print a picture and sent it to S&T for a contest.  The printing and shipping should be definitely under $100.
profbriannz 16.10
·  1 like
Wei-Hao Wang:
2) A 12V to 110V converter.  It allows me to draw power from my Prius in the field to be used by the camera, laptop, equatorial mount, and dew heater. I don't need to bring a generator nor an extremely heavy deep cycle battery to the field, thanks to this small thing.

I like it!
Yoddha 9.58
·  4 likes
The pen-mouse is one of my favorite device. Can point away from the computer, sliding on cloth, palm etc.

51Wo+LB53rL._AC_SY355_.jpg (382×355) (ssl-images-amazon.com)

Most of the nights am driving the whole imaging session only with this little pen Works perfect even with gloves.

I also got one of these keyboards, but am using it mainly for entering the windows password and rarely when am updating the software in the obsy, not remotely

https://gloimg.gbtcdn.com/images/pdm-provider-img/straight-product-img/20190319/T017961/T0179610837/source-img/162819-7633.jpg

both devices also saves me a lot of space in the small obsy as don't need desk.
Edited ...
BrendanC 1.81
·  6 likes
StarTools - £35 one-off price, works wonders on my photos, going much, much further than Photoshop and has incredible hidden depths.

SharpCap Pro - £10 a year, worth it for the Polar Alignment feature alone.

LED light panel for less than £20 - sorts out my flats nicely. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N128B74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dmsummers 6.68
·  7 likes
Definitely concur with Allan....Stellarmate (or Astroberry) on RPi4-4GB has been a total game changer for me.    Allowed complete control of cable management issues on the OTA, and provided complete remote/autonomous operations.   Adding a cheap 100 GB SSD to the config (plus latest Pi4 firmware that eliminates the SD card) allows a week's worth of images to be stored local to the telescope for those "long runs".

Capture2.JPG
dkamen 6.89
·  4 likes
Omegon Ha filter. Okay it was 99 euros which is a little more than 99 dollars. But suddenly I don't care if it's full moon and it's literally a different sky.

Seconded about the insulating tape and the raspberry pi v4.

Cheers,

Dimitris
Clearskys 3.61
·  2 likes
- 26$ for two Liindy 2m USB 3.0 type A to mini- B cables. One to replace the cable that came with the  Startech industrial hub (that  connects to the computer ) and one to connect the ZWO asi 071 to the hub.
Fantastic quality! It solved connectivity problems that I was having with the cable that came with the hub (no problems with cable to the camera, but I wanted to upgrade that too.

- 80$ for a Baader Quick Release 4 - finder bracket for my Orion starshooter 50mm. ( Ibuse it now for my Evoguide).
Very sturdy and stable bracket (I removed the foot and fixed it to a homemade dovetail).
Edited ...
astrophotomik 5.01
·  9 likes
The Pro version of Sharp Cap ( I think it's £10)!. It includes a fantastic polar alignment routine: it's been the best investment I ever did in astrophotography. The polar alignment function works beautifully and it alone is worth the money. In 5 minutes I easily achieve sub arcmin accuracy in the polar alignment in three simple steps. All you need is a polar mount, a camera and a telescope which together give a field of view between 1°and 5°, and of course Polaris must be visible from your location. Follow the easy on-screen instructions and you'll get a super accurate, hassle free polar alignment!.
profbriannz 16.10
·  3 likes
Great to hear everyone's recommendations.  I

If I were a better programmer I would have included a Raspberry Pi too - but I had to buy the bundled version called the ASIAir Pro [which I also couldn't live without - but costs a little more than $100].

Quality cables are also a great suggestion, since I am having a few connectivity glitches - possibly because I am simply using spare cables I found lying around.

I am going to give StarTools a test too.... and the light pen and light panel are now on my shopping list.
Snjór 11.96
·  3 likes
Reading glasses and red dot laser finder!
Vincent_Bchm 1.91
·  4 likes
An AC/DC converter to power up the DSLR, so the battery autonomy is not an issue anymore. But it seems you're already using one.

The head light generates some reflection on the laptop screen. So I also have a red light powered by USB, to light up the keyboard. Something like that: https://www.partitions-musicales.net/Accessoires-Cadeaux/2-LED-USB-Red-Light.html
Edited ...
AwesomeAstro 2.39
·  5 likes
~ Myfocuser2 build for just under $100, by far the best. Fully ASCOM compliant autofocuser built according to plans on sourceforge. I don't think I've had the focuser knob on the scope since then...

~ High-quality manual rotator ring from Teleskop-Express for around $85. I cringed paying that much for a manual rotating ring, but to date it's one of my favorite purchases ever. It's incredibly solid and doesn't even compare to trying to loosen that stupid ring for the T2 ring tube adapter and rotate the optical train, all while guessing at the angles.

~ Zeepin portable power station which I got for $60. Powers the mount, focuser, camera, guide camera and cooling fans (ie, everything) for upwards of 7-8 hours straight in the cold.

~ Telrad finder scope- $40

~ DSLR battery power cable adapter such as this one for powering the D5300 with external power. I'm loving not having to go out there 3x a night to replace the battery and interrupt the sequence.

~ Stellarium (free)
profbriannz 16.10
·  1 like
More brilliant suggestions.

Reading glasses are a must and some great power solutions that I am going to have to look into
astropical
·  3 likes
Kia ora!
Last summer this was helpful:
  • Mosquito coils with licence to kill
  • Dog food, beer, patience
  • A soft cushion

Cheers
Robert
framoro 6.45
·  4 likes
Nice thread.
- Baader 2” click lock: it makes easier changing/rotating the reducers, barlows, eye pieces...
- Adhesive velcro stripes: you can put/move quickly and easily on you tube or mount several pieces (not too heavy)
profbriannz 16.10
·  2 likes
Velcro strips - brilliant.

Beer - yes.  Although the integrated cost of beer over my observing sessions would  amount to over $100.  And I brew my own!

I also get the dog food - for me its the cat than has a habit of rubbing itself against the tripod.

I also have a couple of blankets, which serve as cushions/warmth/blackout drapes as the situation dictates.
profbriannz 16.10
·  1 like
Suggestions have been so good, I intend to provide a summary in a day or so.
profbriannz 16.10
·  5 likes
I should also add to the list an Astrobin subscription.   I have learned so much from the talented, helpful and friendly folks on this site.
astropical
·  3 likes
Brian Boyle:
Velcro strips - brilliant.

Beer - yes.  Although the integrated cost of beer over my observing sessions would  amount to over $100.  And I brew my own!

I also get the dog food - for me its the cat than has a habit of rubbing itself against the tripod.

I also have a couple of blankets, which serve as cushions/warmth/blackout drapes as the situation dictates.

The cushion is for banging the head on when clouds are crossing 🤕
Cheers
Robert
bconyne 0.00
·  5 likes
Big fan of Affinity Photo as a Photoshop alternative, regular price is $50 but often goes on sale (currently 50% off). Many PS plugins work in AP.
Snjór 11.96
·  2 likes
Nice thread.
- Baader 2” click lock: it makes easier changing/rotating the reducers, barlows, eye pieces...
- Adhesive velcro stripes: you can put/move quickly and easily on you tube or mount several pieces (not too heavy)

Velcro great idea! I get some today at store!
DavidNI 0.90
·  3 likes
1. EQDirect interface cable to upgrade an Synscan mount to be used with EQMOD through a laptop. No more wresting with the hand controller with the short springy lead!

2. Xbox controller to be used along with EQMOD
framoro 6.45
·  5 likes
I would like to add to the list of upgrades a Bathinov mask.
Great help to reach easily the best focus.
whwang 11.48
·  3 likes
I would like to add to the list of upgrades a Bathinov mask.
Great help to reach easily the best focus.

I second to that. I am too used to having it so I forgot how great it is.

Register or login to create to post a reply.