Starman609 from Pelzer, SC Introduce yourself! · Eddie Bagwell · ... · 2 · 26 · 0

Starman609 6.45
·  1 like
Hi fellow astro photographers, I started my AP adventure a couple of months ago with little knowledge and a big appetite. I've been soaking up as much knowledge as possible spending all of my free time on forums, watching videos and reading online articles about the AP hobby. I've been making lots of mistakes but learning from each failure and pushing forward.

I'm starting out slow so as not to be overwhelmed and frustrated. There is so much to learn from this hobby from the equipment, the software and the post-processing, but I guess that is what keeps you interested and coming back for more. Currently I have a ZWO 533 OSC camera, a WO GT81IV APO refractor on a SW EQ6-R Pro mount and taking un-guided subs. I'm taking shorter subs and frames so I can get as many targets as I can in a night so I can work on my capture and processing skills. Also I'm slowly learning about the different types of filters, which ones I need for certain targets and moon phases. After about 8 sessions and 40 targets of sub-par photos I'm finally feeling like I'm ready to start posting some photos. They're not great, but it's a start.

So far I've had fantastic support from the Astrobin community and hope to continue this hobby for many years to come.
Thanks!
SicIturAdAstra 0.00
·  1 like
Hi,
Welcome here! I'm also "new" here, well, subscribed a few month ago. Yes it's a great community with good "helpers".
Don't hesitate to post your images even if you think they don't worth it, we learn from our (and others) errors. I just saw your photos and they are pretty good for a beginner, you can be proud!
But, because there is a but ;)  I see (and you say it here in this post too)that you don't spend much time on each object. I think you should focus on a target and get as much data as you can, with the ASI533 I like to have at least 6 hours (8 or 10 hours is even better), especially if you use filters like duo narrowband. More integration time will result in a better image with deeper colors, better dynamic range, less noise and it will be much easier to process.
I know, we all want to acquire as much targets as we can, especially during winter where the weather can be challenging (depends where you are), but it's better to focus on one at a time.
That said, I like what you've done and can only encourage you this way! It's great to see such driven newcomers.
Waiting to see more of your work.
Best regards
Starman609 6.45
SicIturAdAstra, thanks for your helpful suggestions and support. Right, more data better pic. I started at 20 min each then 40 min and have moved up to 60 min now so I can still get 4 or 5 targets a night. However I don't have any post-processing skills to apply to any good data that I acquire. For me I think that is the hardest phase of AP, especially since I don't have any premium software. A lot of the pics on here are gorgeous and makes me wonder if I can ever achieve such results.

Thanks for checking out my work and I will try to get more data and focus more on each target.

Register or login to create to post a reply.