Best camera for astrophotography up to 1000$ including kit lens Generic equipment discussions · Desttiner · ... · 8 · 407 · 0

Desttiner 0.00
Hello,

I’d love to take photos of stars, a milky way etc. But not only. I like to travel as often as possible and during that I take photos of landscapes, building especially. Because of that, I need camera with ibis since I’ll take some photos by hand. The most often I’d like to make timelapses (at night and day) in 4K. I’m quite a beginner so the price should be within 1000$, at least for now. Obviously, I plan to buy some better lenses for particular purposes (most likely astrophotography). But for now I need something best to start with. I mean something that is worth to buy and useful for taking photos/shooting timelapses of everything I mentioned, even though the quality will not be the best possible. However, I dont want to pay nearly 1000$ for camera that will not allow me to take really good pictures even with better lenses in the future.

I consider buying Lumix GX85/G85. Could you recommend me these cameras or suggest any better? In terms of my requirements, I think this one should be the best. I know, there are some cameras that are perfect for astro, but they are good only at astro, which is not the best option for me. I need camera which is really good at astro but is also capable of taking photos/shooting timelapses of something else.

Thanks for any reactions, tips or suggestions.
iamsiggi 0.00
Have a look to Olympus E-M10 Mark II ...... but for Astrophotogrphy you need a High Aperture Lense. And that will cost a lot of money. You can try at Sigma Art Series F/2.8.

Siegfried
Desttiner 0.00
I'm aware of that. I consider buying Samyang 12mm f2 later. Just need a good camera to start with, lens can be bought later in the future. I'll look at Olymp. What's the biggest difference that makes olymp better then the lumix for astro?
bobzeq25 0.00
The Lumix is a 4/3 chip.   That can work for astro, but an APS-C works better.
Nikon D5600 (I have the slightly earlier 5500).

https://www.amazon.com/D5600-DX-format-Digital-SLR-Body/dp/B01N7OJNEX

Minor advantage.  Nikons, like Canons, work with significantly more astrophotography software than either Panasonic or Olympus.

I recommend skipping the kit zoom lens, buying a couple of fixed focal lengths (primes) instead.  Faster, fewer aberrations.  Used good Nikon lenses are plentiful.
Edited ...
Desttiner 0.00
The Lumix is a 4/3 chip.   That can work for astro, but an APS-C works better.Nikon D5600 (I have the slightly earlier 5500).

https://www.amazon.com/D5600-DX-format-Digital-SLR-Body/dp/B01N7OJNEX

Minor advantage.  Nikons, like Canons, work with significantly more astrophotography software than either Panasonic or Olympus.

I recommend skipping the kit zoom lens, buying a couple of fixed focal lengths (primes) instead.  Faster, fewer aberrations.  Used good Nikon lenses are plentiful.

Yea, Nikon is definitely better since it has larger sensor. But it does not have IBIS and I'm not sure if it allows me to shoot timelapses in 4K at 24 frames/sec. at least. Olympus does only at 5 frames/sec. which is too low. In this case, lumix is better.

The question is if the difference (with the APS-C sensor) will be so noticeable.
iamsiggi 0.00
Olympus does only at 5 frames/sec

That's not correct.  Depend on Camera you have 8-60 fps  :-) But you don't need at sky - except Moon/Sun.

Every Camera have Pro and Cons - If you now your working tools, you can do reasonable  pictures.

I use only Olympus,  and it's more am matter how many frames you can get and how good is your pictureprocessing.

Siegfried
PEJU 0.00
Eos 6D (ff) and Samyang 14mm 2.8 will do a superior job.
Cost today 1000 euro in total
TLBoyd 1.20
The Canon EOS M50 is relatively low cost and capable.  I purchased it for general use and for astrophotography. You can see some of my recent results on my Astrobin home page.
TLBoyd 1.20
Oops, I should have checked the last post date, this thread is long since idle. Anyway, I'm happy so far with the M50 for any others landing here and looking for a decent low cost DSLR.

Register or login to create to post a reply.