Light pollution filter - which way is better? Generic equipment discussions · Charles Harris · ... · 13 · 466 · 0

Harris48Pod 0.00
Hello to anyone who would have an opinion..
I am wanting to buy an Astronomik light pollution filter for use with a CCD refractor and CCD SCT LRGB setup.  Should I get one to replace my L filter when shooting or should I get one to go forward of the filter wheel somewhere?  I am leaning toward getting one to go in front of the filter wheel in the optic train somewhere..
thx
Charles
kajouman 2.81
i use a Lumicon UHc..its  very good.  with heavy polution..narrowband filters will work better
swag72 0.00
I use a Chroma LP filter as my luminance in one of the rigs and the other uses a HUTEC IDAS, again as the luminance filter only. I thought long and hard about this and if I'd put the LP filter in the front of the imaging train then it may have had an adverse effect on my Narrown band data collection. I'm happy how it works 
Harris48Pod 0.00
Hello Ms. Wager,
...I love your artistic interpretations of the heavens..I was quite surprised to get to chat with you for a moment in time.. thanks for the guidance.  I will consider it gospel.
Charles
Harris48Pod 0.00
John:
i use a Lumicon UHc..its  very good.  with heavy polution..narrowband filters will work better

Hello John,
I see the difference in some of the same shots you have taken that I have taken.  My pollution is not bad, but I think it is probably borderline.  I guess I am probably considering getting a substitute for the Lum filter at this point unless anyone responds with convincing info to the alternative.  Thanks for the advice.
Charles
Vittorio 3.82
Hi Charles,
unfortunately I think that you can't have definitive answer to your question. A lot of people use an LP filter between filterwheel and telescope, others use an LP filter just on filterwheel (in place of L filter), other people don't use LP filter.
I know just one thing: everyone has problems!
personally I use an Idas P2 in place of L filter. some friend use Idas between telescope and OAG (so they can have LP reduction on RGB filters) but a lot of thimes they have reflection problems.
Sorry for my english :-)
kajouman 2.81
Charles Harris:
Chroma LP filter

the most of the pictures where done with a different camera...now i have a asi1600mm-c and use the uhc filter...only when i capture mid horizon targets. for zenith..i use the zwo clear glass...im living in a almost dark zone.soo...
Harris48Pod 0.00
I see..thx.
Harris48Pod 0.00
Vittorio:
Hi Charles,
unfortunately I think that you can't have definitive answer to your question. A lot of people use an LP filter between filterwheel and telescope, others use an LP filter just on filterwheel (in place of L filter), other people don't use LP filter.
I know just one thing: everyone has problems!
personally I use an Idas P2 in place of L filter. some friend use Idas between telescope and OAG (so they can have LP reduction on RGB filters) but a lot of thimes they have reflection problems.
Sorry for my english :-)

Thank you Vittorio.  Very clearly put and valuable to know, I'm sure.  I will try to remember this as I get closer to a decision..I am going to check out all these filters you guys have told me about..
So long,
Charles
Mark_Hudson 0.00
Sorry it's a late reply, I use the Hutech IDAS in front of the filter wheel when imaging in LRGB and get good results with it under poor skies.  I usually remove the IDAS for Narrowband imaging.  For info the LRGB and Narrowband filters are all Astronomik brand.

Good luck with the decision.

Mark
Harris48Pod 0.00
Thank you very much Mark..
PEJU 0.00
Im always shoot half of subs with uhc astronomik and half without any filter (ir- and LP removed)

Gothenburg city,  light pollution-grade 6-7

Best regards,  Peter
Harris48Pod 0.00
thank you so much Peter.  I wondered if anyone was doing that....Good to know.  I like your M101...very developed spiral arms...
Charles
Starminer68 2.41
Colleagues, Orion advertise planetary imaging filters set (UV, IR, CH4)  https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Filters/Orion-125-Specialized-3-Piece-Planetary-Imaging-Filter-Set/rc/2160/pc/-1/c/4/sc/63/p/113383.uts
Does anyone has these filters? Any good? 

Register or login to create to post a reply.