Which mount? Generic equipment discussions · Petar_Babic · ... · 17 · 603 · 0

Petar_Babic 0.00
What mount would you recommend for astrophotography, I was thinking either the ieq45 pro or skaywatcher eq6-r. In the future I plan to use two 80mm refractors. Currently, I have an 80mm refractor and an eq6 mount that is 15 years old.
diegocolonnello 0.00
Answer is,  the heaviest most expensive you can afford...

For example takahashi em 200. Paramount myt.

On the cheap side..   look at AZ eq6.
Edited ...
bobzeq25 0.00
Two good choices.  Are you planning to mount both scopes at once?  That reduces tracking accuracy, weight matters,
even below capacity.
Edited ...
Petar_Babic 0.00
Yes, I am planning to use both scopes at once.
GregGurdak 0.00
Ioptron CEM60 should do The job don’t bother with 45 ...
Petar_Babic 0.00
The CEM60 is a little too expensive for me.
GregGurdak 0.00
Then go for 45 but good enough for one 80mm scope, not for two of them ;) ... why do you need to load two at the same time anyway??
Petar_Babic 0.00
Because I most often soot from my balcony and I have tops 1h 30min of imaging time and if I had 2 scopes that would double.
GregGurdak 0.00
:... if going to open area ( park or something) is in option... I would rather spend some money on the batteries than second set up gear ( telescope and camera filters etc.)open area better star alignment?
Edited ...
Petar_Babic 0.00
:... if going to open area ( park or something) is in option

Yes, that is an option.
GregGurdak 0.00
There you go Peter ... don’t spend your money on second identical gears setup.... that’s crazy ... all the best
bobzeq25 0.00
·  1 like
Because I most often soot from my balcony and I have tops 1h 30min of imaging time and if I had 2 scopes that would double.

Get one scope, one camera, and one mount.  Get that working first.  Then consider if you want to add a second.
You'll have experience tracking, can see how difficult it is.
IsaacFSilva 0.00
Hi guys. I also had doubts about the equipment and, after evaluating, I bought a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Equatorial GoTo mount and Sky-Watcher 10 " f/3.94 Quattro Imaging Newtonian Telescope. I'll start with a Canon camera (B&H).
huerbsch 0.90
Well I own both an IEQ45 Pro and a NEQ6-Pro hypertuned with the rowan belt mod.

The IEQ45 Pro has worked 100% without issue right out of the box. As in, ASCOM drivers and iOptron commander connecting in windows, connecting mount to SGP, and sub arc second pulse auto guiding. The pointing accuracy has also been excellent, but I use a polemaster. I love the size and weight of the IEQ45 for portability. The polar scope is better than the NEQ6 as well. The NEQ6 (0.6-0.7" RMS) does guide slightly better than the IEQ45 Pro (0.7-0.9" RMS) but the NEQ6 is DarkFrame hypertuned with the upgraded precision worm. I really like that I can convert the IEQ45 to Az because I enjoy visual and have a 200mm newtonian I can use with it. That may not matter to you.

I think most of the time, NEQ6-R will be better than the IEQ45 Pro. I would keep the total weight to 30 lb or less for the IEQ45 and if using a larger/longer OTA like a 5" refractor or 8" newt the NEQ6-R would probably be the better choice. For the 80mm refractor, both will not even notice it ; )  I'd probably go with the iOptron in that case.
Edited ...
TareqPhoto 2.94
Go with AZ-EQ6
someguy 0.00
iOptron CEM25EC mount, any thoughts on it? I'll be using a WO Zenithstar73 and dslr and am looking for something fairly portable. I like the idea fairly decent exposure lengths without guiding. Thanks for your input. Guy.
dkamen 6.89

You have to weigh that against the time it takes to assemble and align a very heavy mount with 2 scopes.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Edited ...
nightster 0.00
EQ-6, EQ-6R  (or the Orion Atlas, rebranded EQ6 in U.S.) are the budget mounts I would suggest. The R is better , belt drives make is quiet, but I've been using my EQ-6 for 5 years with very good results. My EQ6 did require me to tune out the worm gears and thrust bearings which meant some reading and some tweaking and a special tool. My buddy's R ran superb out the box at a higher cost. Do not buy a used Orion version of these (Atlas, Atlas Pro) as they will not support them unless your the 1st owner.  Not sure what the Skywatcher service rules are.  You can run them from your computer via EQMOD software. Its an decent solution, not as good as a native ASCOM driver found on other mounts, but its it mature, reliable and complete. These mounts work with almost all the software you will need and there are many Apps that are free to really cheap to get you started. EQMOD-Free, BYEOS(cheap), APT(cheap), SGPro (moderate cost), plus Plate Solvers. If I had the budget years ago and the knowledge I'd gone with a Mach1, now Mach2, but 3x Cost of the EQ6's. I would not recommend a Paramount to a beginner. My buddies have had them, The SkyX is daunting, they have not been bullet proof electronically, they need some annual service. The Celestron's are very good, a friend runs a CGX and its quite a beast and generally likes it. Though I've heard him cussing its guiding accuracy occasionally. That said, I cuss at mine sometimes also.  There are more options than ever but depending on how important the budget is in the end I say a new EQ6R if you can afford it, if not a new EQ6 will give you years of service and will get you to the next level when your ready.

Jeff

Register or login to create to post a reply.