WIFI worth using or not. Generic equipment discussions · Eric4 · ... · 8 · 446 · 0

Eman4 0.00
Thinking of setting up my  Orion EQ-g mount I use for astro photos,  to run wifi on it. I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. And if I do what is a good one to get. Thanks Eric....
gnomus 0.00
If you’re going to be using it for visual work and intend to hop around several targets with something like Sky Safari, then why not?  I don’t see any advantage for imaging though.
ruccdu 2.71
Eric,

In my opinion, it is worth it really only if you plan to use the setup to image from different sites.  After a while it becomes tedious to input the location coordinates into the mount every time you go from home to a dark site and a GPS takes that step and automates it.  If you don't plan to image from other locations, or do so infrequently, it's probably not worth it.

Ron
Eman4 0.00
Thank you for your feedback, I'm going to hold off for now and use that money for a new mount.

Eric
HomerPepsi 0.00
From my own experience: not worth it for imaging. Lan connection is much better.
hotchilli 0.00
you can use a 100ft max Ethernet cable without any issues ..
for long cable I get a few old 3 metre cables and just join them together in middle ~ works great
so cut 1 end off of 2 cables and both ends off of 1 cable = 9m .. 27feet
use electrical tape to protect 8)

inside cable are 4 pairs twisted
Edited ...
pallikas 0.00
I have been relying on WIFI connectivity for imaging for quite some time.  I position the controlling computer at the mount (on the OTA is preferred, to reduce any cables dragging).  I have been using Raspberry Pi3+ and Odroids, but recently moved to a small windows NUC sized computer.  I connect the camera, focuser, filter wheel, and rotator cables directly to the computer, and wifi connect to the mount (Paramount MyT, and Celestron CGEM).  I then remotely access that computer over wifi from the comfort of my home, or RV using RDP or VNC.  I also have a small travel router that all the equipment points to, to ensure a good signal and consistent SSID addressing.  Works great.  If the connection from the laptop to the router at the scope site is lost for any reason, I have only lost the remote screen momentarily, but any processing/imaging run keeps going while I am disconnected.  I also share the images directory on the network, so I can access them from the laptop for processing while data is being collected.  The Odroid and Raspberry Pi3+ are good for linux, but some of my software was Windows only.

If you are dealing with USB3 cameras, this has proven to be the best solution, as USB3 cables must be kept short.  Any attempt to use extension cables is unreliable for USB3, in our experience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K6MHRJI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The router is what ensures the reliability.
Edited ...
CarstenEckhardt 0.00
Hi, I too have the Orion EQ-G and I'm controlling it with a dedicated astro-laptop, which I keep outside in a plastic box with extra holes for the cables.
I use the free Teamviewer software to control the laptop outside with my desktop computer inside the house. I got a cable for the Orion EQ-G
from First Light Optics, connecting my USB port on the laptop with the handcontroller port.
Cartes du Ciel is my planetarium software, but you can use others. It's working fine for me, especially since I switched to plane solving with Sharp Cap.
rishigarrod 0.00
I have just started using Stellarmate. It uses Kstars/Ekos to provide all the tools needed based on the INDI stack for connecting to all the equipment. It all runs on a Raspberry Pi. The software is freeware but I purchased a $50 bundle which I could install directly on a Pi. No real configuration needed but I do think it would be challenging to go this route if you are not relatively comfortable with Linux.
HEQ5, EOS6D and QHY5L-II guidecam all attach directly to the Raspberry Pi.
I run Kstars/Ekos on a Mac, all connectivity via Wifi. If there is no Wifi available the Raspberry automatically sets up an access point.
This works really well and its great sitting inside on those really cold nights. All I need to do it the basic setup plus polar alignment outside. The rest I can do from inside. I do still sit next to a window so I can see what my mount is doing. I have a ZS61 which is pretty lightweight for the mount but I also put a Skywatcher 200P/1200 on it, then I really like to keep an eye on it.

I love being wireless, I was always afraid of tripping over the long USB cables I had and the door always had to be open a bit for the cables. I had contemplated drilling holes in the walls for the cables but I am happy I went the wireless route.

Register or login to create to post a reply.