ZWO cameras for solar system imaging Generic equipment discussions · Tareq Abdulla · ... · 2 · 137 · 0

TareqPhoto 2.94
Hi again,

I know that ZWO has many cameras can be used for planetary, and there are 2 or 3 models can be used as popular for planets, but if we are planning to add the moon and the sun in the equation or question, are there benefits for another cameras? And why another cameras aren't good to be used for planetary and solar system imaging too as the recommended ones?

Here i am talking about ASI174 [mono or color] and ASI178 [both] vs. 290/224/385/120, i see some planetary imagers using 174 but it is not widely recommended, and 178 has the smallest pixel size so why not  good choice for planets then?

Just want to know what are good or bad about those two cameras of ASI17x ones, and if someone has for example 224 and 290 mono then is there any benefit for 178 or 174 for solar system imaging and not just planets alone?
tomtom2245 1.20
I have the ASI224MC and use it for planetary. See one of my shots here: Saturn or just check out some of my other planetary images. The 224 has a small sensor diagonal which will give you a smaller FOV which is why it is good for planetary. It also has USB 3.0 which will allow you to get a high frame rate. I also have a ASI120MM that I use for guiding but can't speak to its imaging qualities. Check out this ASI buyers guide, Guide. It has some very helpful info for picking a good zwo camera.
TareqPhoto 2.94
Thomas:
I have the ASI224MC and use it for planetary. See one of my shots here: Saturn or just check out some of my other planetary images. The 224 has a small sensor diagonal which will give you a smaller FOV which is why it is good for planetary. It also has USB 3.0 which will allow you to get a high frame rate. I also have a ASI120MM that I use for guiding but can't speak to its imaging qualities. Check out this ASI buyers guide, Guide. It has some very helpful info for picking a good zwo camera.

Wasn't really ask about 224 in specific, but was actually wondering about 174 and 178 to be used here, and 224 doesn't have smaller pixel than 290 or 178 anyway although they are all still small pixels anyway.

Nice shot of Saturn, i have same with my 385MC which is same as 224MC pixel size but larger resolution ;)

Register or login to create to post a reply.