PI - Ha regions disappear after SCNR [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · Marc · ... · 4 · 158 · 0

Lasastard 3.10
Hi,

so this is probably me still learning the ropes, but I had the following issue:

I am currently collecting data for M33, first batch  was(1h of L/R/G/B each at F5.5). After combing and photometric color calibration of R/G/B, I see clear hints of the various Ha regions, some very strong, some fainter. The image at this stage has a slight green tint. After stretching etc I would then run SCNR (green) - which unfortunately erases most of the Ha signal (except the very strong region).

Any idea why and whether there is anything I could do to avoid that? Is the overall signal just to weak, or am I actually doing something wrong here?

Cheers,
Marc
xordi 3.82
Try SCNR after chrominance noise reduction and/or reduce amount of SCNR.
2ghouls 6.71
Marc:
am I actually doing something wrong here?

Are you using SCNR Green at 100% strength? I usually start at 50% and then undo and try a different value if it seems to be destroying signal rather than just noise.  If you still are having trouble you could always apply a stretched, inverted luminance mask first and then use SCNR- it should mostly be working on the sky background anyways.
PepeChambo 2.41
I don't use SCNR if isn't strictly necessary, this eats your data. I prefer neutralize color while be possible.
Edited ...
Lasastard 3.10
Yes, based on the feedback here, I was able to solve my issue. Ended up using SCNR at 0.7.
Thanks!

Register or login to create to post a reply.