Camera help [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · James · ... · 12 · 318 · 0

jamesmdmad 0.00
Hi all .

Has anybody compared de NikonD810 to the D850 for deep sky photography ?
I have a d810 and I’m happy ( but I have no idea yet ) but I have a great offer for aD850, is it any better?

thanks
James .
Morian 0.00
ZWO ASI1600 MM PRO is better👍
jamesmdmad 0.00
ZWO ASI1600 MM PRO is better👍

, yes that would be another option. Thanks .

but witch of the two nikon is best ?
I would stil ha an all purpose camera with a DSLR.

Cheers

james
Morian 0.00
I have a Canon 500d that was modified by removing ir cut filter and a Canon 6d not modified, cus when someone comes up whit a good project it is still wunderfull to look.
I have the ASI1600MM pro and its a great ccd camera but when you lay an effort work in DSLR it has a macic glove in the image that manny ccd cameras still lacks off.
What I try to tell you is learn your equepment and Grove from there.
Best of Luck to you.
jamesmdmad 0.00
I have a Canon 500d that was modified by removing ir cut filter and a Canon 6d not modified, cus when someone comes up whit a good project it is still wunderfull to look.I have the ASI1600MM pro and its a great ccd camera but when you lay an effort work in DSLR it has a macic glove in the image that manny ccd cameras still lacks off.
What I try to tell you is learn your equepment and Grove from there.
Best of Luck to you.

thanks , that I bet is the right thing to do .
Cheers
jamesmdmad 0.00
Is it worth trying to build a “cooling box” for my camera (d810) I’m thinking of summer nights around MADRID , Spain .

I’ve heard of a camera modification that doesn’t involve any cooling system,  anyone has it ?  It’s done at Spencer’s camera Here

cheers
Morian 0.00
It canno payoff.
I was thinging the same time a go, the Best way to get the Best Out of a dslr is to imageing when its biting cold to reduse noise.
The Canon 6d has werry little noise but you have to save up to get a mono ccd whit cooling.
Thats the Best advise I can give you.
carastro 8.04
I had a DSLR for a couple of years but became frustrated with the noise.  Bought a Cool box but found it such a faff to operate with the box around the camera (as then unable to get at on/off switch and Mode switch, plus the camera came out soaking wet afterwards which worried me, so I stopped using it and ended up getting a Cooled dedicated mono camera.

I rarely dabble in DSLR imaging these days but sometimes there is a reason why, and when I do it reminds me why I changed to a CCD camera.

Personally I would not waste time  and money buying a second DSLR.  If you already have one fine, but if you are going to buy again, I would get a dedicated cooled camera.

Carole
Edited ...
dciobota
I'm not a Nikon guy nor do I play one on tv.  ;-)
That said, I've read a number of posts in other forums concerning Nikons.  Some things to consider:
- Some Nikons have great Ha response and don't need to be modified.
- Some Nikons, especially the newer ones, have better noise than Canons
- Some Nikons have something called "star eater" issue, which extinguishes small faint stars.  This is usually undesirable.

Having said that, I have no idea if either of your two cameras fall into any of the above.  I am a Canon guy.

I looked at the stire you pointed to, and what that shows is something called passive cooling.  It will try to cool the camera to ambient temperature.  It helps a little, but in the summer time, I don't believe it will be enough to make a significant difference.  I could be wrong.

My take, if you're not set on just upgrading to another dslr.  Keep the one you have and look for a used asi1600mc-c.  That's the color, not mono camera.  It has active cooling which works really well, and it's less than the price of an 850, especially if you compare both used.  I have one, and having worked with modified Canon cameras before, it's a significant improvement.  You will need a laptop/pc to control it, yes.  That's the one drawback  of all dedicated cameras, you can't just use an intervalometer.

And btw, the colors I get from the asi camera are much better than the Canons.  I don't know if it's the chip used (a Panasonic, used to be on Panasonic cameras which are known for good color) or the way the raw data is created, but I love it.  The yellows especially stand out, something no modified Canon was very good at.

This is just my opinion of course.

Daniel
jamesmdmad 0.00
Thanks Daniel , yes,  now I’m sure I’m going for a dedicated color camera . I already use a Pc so it won’t be so much fuss .

Now I’m looking at ZWO 1600 color or QHY8 or 10 . And debating with my pillow if I should go monochrome...

thanks
Morian 0.00
Go for monocrome , higher resolution and sensetivity  than color.
Edited ...
jamesmdmad 0.00
Ok , I think I should go for monochrome as I have my DSLR for color one shot, and with monochrome I’ll learn new things and have wider options .

So, what do I go for , I would like a cooled camera as wide as possible but FF are more expensive, I would like it to have its proper filter weel ,  and if it was controlled from apt it would be great .

Advice please .

Register or login to create to post a reply.