LMC from tip of Africa Suburban Astrophotography · MarkC · ... · 3 · 129 · 1

MarkC 0.00
Hi folks my 1st post here

Shot this earlier tonight, was pretty pleased how its come out considering all I have atm is a tripod and modded 700D...my gear is back in UK.
The new Moon(absence of it)  helped a lot, as well as time of capture at near midnight and altitude of object about 50 degrees in sky.
Guess it goes to show what can be achieved with v little equip....

49 x 4s @3200 ISO lights from suburban location in Cape Town, SA
Manfrotto tripod, modded Canon 700D , Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 , no LP filter
34 Darks, 53 Flats, 25 Bias frames
Moon illum. 0.0%

Edited ...
TareqPhoto 2.94
That is nice,i really have to start enjoying astrophotography and being happy with it, because all what i do is feeling sad about my failed or bad results and keep comparing it to those amazing results mind blowing or top picks even if done with simple equipment.

Well done!
MarkC 0.00
Thank you Tareq,

I know that feeling of despondency...only too well.
When all one seems to have achieved is dismal results after so many long hours labour at unearthly hours in the cold and alone, night after night..month after month sometimes....
After a while one doesn't know if it's ones own lack of ability, the equip or just bad luck!! Very frustrating!

I have even put aside my AP for long periods over the last few years,,,for personal reasons not only absolute frustration...but always the beauty of the Heavens calls me back. So don't feel alone..I think many here probably feel the same at times just don't express it.

Don't give up...give yourself a break and try to just enjoy the experience of being under the stars with some cheap 10x50s 8) ...I find on a dark night that's all I need to reinvigorate me.
TareqPhoto 2.94
Maybe i have to buy another binocular then, i do have one, not bad, but not great one, i can't so so much here from my yard, i don't travel or drive far, so under light pollution it is like i really can't enjoy anything, not visual and not imaging, i don't know how yo can feel about that.

But, just last year i started to get kind of results i should hold hope with, so i won't give up yet about AP, mainly planetary here including the sun and the moon can be the best i can do here from my yard, they are big and very bright and clear [not the planets], and sometimes we have that nice seeing, the sky is clear, those targets aren't much affected by the light pollution, so i will try to focus on mastering or having more nicer results of planetary than DSO, and i am really waiting a good budget so i can buy a nicer scope so i can start doing that DSO AP seriously, also i won't pass those DSO results I've got so far, i just started 2 years ago and i don't want to give up so quick yet, i will see this year, if i got really nice AP results including DSO then i will keep going, it is so simple, if a once reached that level then i am there always, if i can't reach there at any time even after 2-4 years then as you said, i won't bother to keep going.

Register or login to create to post a reply.