SBIG STV Generic equipment discussions · David Lawrence · ... · 18 · 371 · 0

dlawren1 0.00
I want to know how many are still using the SBIG STV for auto guiding?
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
hello I still use the Sbig stv
dlawren1 0.00
I have seen your pictures using the STV.  They are great.  I bought a used STV from a Cloudy Nights vendor.  I have some questions regarding the set up of the STV.  Would you be willing to answer some questions?  If so I can be reached at   [email protected].   Some of the questions are as follows.  Do you use the e-finder for guiding or a guidescope?  Do you use auto calibrate or manual calibrate?  If  manual, what tips can you offer?
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
hello use the STV has just been given by a friend who did not remember how to use it! I could not use e-finder and then I use a 9x50 finder and that's great! of soluto I do so: with focus I find a guide star I do the calibration in automatic and always automatically I also do the guide! if I can help you I will stay at your disposal!
dlawren1 0.00
Thanks for the information.  I never thought of using a 9x50 finder.  I will try that.  Thanks for your help.
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
I used that of the Orion, which in practice is already a small guide telescope!
dlawren1 0.00
Which Orion guide scope do you use?  The Orion 50mm or the Orion 60mm?  Do you always use auto calibrate?  When you use auto calibrate, does it always work?
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
I used for a while that d 50 mm now I switched to 70 mm but honestly I did not find diversity! yes, the automatic calibration always works, sometimes it happens that you reap error messages like "speed" or "angle"! At this point you have to intervene and understand the problem
dlawren1 0.00
Thank you agarin.  I just bought an Orion 50mm finder with a Helical focuser.  I hope that it will work.  Regarding you statement above that you might get messages like errors of "speed or angle",   its their information in the manual which explains these problems?
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
sure will go well I should just find the right fire! for the speed problem you will have to verify the mount for the problem angle you will have to rotate the camera a little bit
dlawren1 0.00
Thanks again.
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
nothing ! Hello
dlawren1 0.00
If you would rather reach me by e-mail, I can be reached at [email protected].
Alberto-Mimmi 0.00
ok
dlawren1 0.00
Alberto,

What mount are you using the STV with.?  Did you have to buy a  RJ12 coupler reverse adapter to get the pins to match with your mount.
dlawren1 0.00
Took the STV out to test it.   Spent hours on the guider.  It was not a good experience.  However, I learned something.  Garbage in garbage out.   Thier are two cables that run from the controller.  One sends signals to the camera from the control box, and the othe goes out from the camera to the control box.  I never plugged in the cable that runs out from the camera to the contorller.  Thus, I never recieved a picture.  Sonetimes it helps to read the manual very carefully.  I will try it again once the clouds and the rain disappears.
dlawren1 0.00
I took the STV out again.  This time I remembered to plug in both cables to the controler.  It worked.  Had a little problem with focusing.  Apparently it takes some time to learn how to do the focusing.  Light polution, and seeing conditions do have a effect on focusing.  Apparenly you need to ajust the sensitiviity and gain, as wll as exposure time.  There is a learning curve, but I will continue to work on it
dlawren1 0.00
I have a question for those who are using the stv.   Can you use the STV efinder with out the focal reducer, and if you use the focal reducer doe it have infinity focuse?
dlawren1 0.00
For anyone who might be interested  You need the focal reducer to work with the efinder  The focal reducer works as the lens for the camera.  Also you can achieve easy focus by using a helical focuser attached to the camera.  I posted a picture of this configuration on astrobin.

Register or login to create to post a reply.