What telescope to buy? Generic equipment discussions · Neil1234567890 · ... · 9 · 314 · 0

Neil1234567890 0.00
Hello,
I want a telescope for visual observation of the moon and some deep space objects.

I want to see detailed and magnified moon, like big craters and stuff. And also some nebulas and maybe Andromeda galaxy.

What telescope do you recommend? Budget max:250€.
I found this one: Bresser Telescope N 130S/650 Parabolic Messier OTA. Is this good for my case? Does it has enough magnification and aperture? Will I get images of moon like this https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-89790bab06fee3fb1113c899eb70a338-c.

Or this : https://out.reddit.com/t3_3gog6m?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FYxi42lH.jpg&token=AQAAMHT-XKUYkWNOnDVpEu9eUYmSSjmfcMoPa_M1H3m7Tt9a-KBB&app_name=mweb2x

Thanks alot
khrrugh 3.21
Hey Neil,

a standard-newtonian is a good starting point. My first scope was a 130/650 too. But dont expect too much of it. Your magnification is determined by the scope AND your eyepiece. You can check several combinations here:
Astronomy.Tools
Good eyepieces are expensive. Start small and see if you are having fun -> then you can buy new gear. For a budget of 250 € you will not see "detailed and magnified moon" in my experience.

I wish you a good start,
Michael
Neil1234567890 0.00
Thanks Timm,
Can u tell me what u observed with your telescope?
Like what u saw, did u use it for deep space or planetary and for visual or astrophotography?
Thanks alot
khrrugh 3.21
The first few months i used it only visually. Planets with a high magnification eyepiece and a barlow, the moon, the ring nebula and some other brighter DS-objects i was able fo find manually. Then i bought my first astrocam (a ASI178MC) and took first images. I obviously took my first steps into AP and could not handle the equipment properly, so the images are really not good and there was way more possible. You can look at them in my gallery, the oldest ones where taken with that equipment. A few month later i upgraded my mount and that was a big step.
Here you can see my early images, all unguided and taken from a total novice:
Michaels first images
Edited ...
Vittorio 3.82
HI,
a question, but you need a mount too?
On my personal opinion just for visual a dobson is a good choice if you haven't a mount. On the contrary, as Michael wrote, a newtonian probably is the better choice.
Neil1234567890 0.00
Hello,
Thanks for the reply
I will get an EQ mount because I intend to do some astrophotography and visual of the moon.
Do I need a refractor or reflector for moon visual and nebulas(DSOs) l? I heard that reflectors gather light so it's good for DSOs, but I also hear that they are not good and should get a refractor for DSOs. I'm confused which one to get for my purpose?

Also these pics are stunning Timm, great job,
you mean I will get like Ur photos with bresser 130/650 ?
Also by magnified and detailed moon I mean like yours:https://www.astrobin.com/full/320656/0/?nc=user. I will get like this with 130/650 in visual right? Is this pics of the moon with 2000mm or 650mm Focal length? If 2000mm how did this happen If your telescope is 650mm?
Thanks to both of you.
khrrugh 3.21
you mean I will get like Ur photos with bresser 130/650 ?

There is no real difference between the Bresser 130/650 and the Skywatcher 130/650.

Is this pics of the moon with 2000mm or 650mm Focal length? If 2000mm how did this happen If your telescope is 650mm?

It was taken through a technique called "eyepiece projection". Just google for it or read here about it. So, answer is: It was taken at about 2000mm FL
khrrugh 3.21
Michael Timm:
heard that reflectors gather light so it's good for DSOs, but I also hear that they are not good and should get a refractor for DSOs. I'm confused which one to get for my purpose?

This is a question no one can answer. All sort of telescopes have their advantages and disadvantages. You can spent hours and hours of googling and reading regarding this topic - and you should definitively do this. It is a big advantage to know what your equipment is good at and what is a bit difficult. But, in short: All types of telescopes can be used for DSO, planets, comets, moons and so on. Some can do this or that better. But my opinion stays: Start with a small newtonian (like a 130/650), it is a good allrounder. If you enjoy this hobby, go for a good mount next. Upgrade your scope later, when you know your 130/650 really good. Then you can assess what type of scope you want next.
Neil1234567890 0.00
Wow thanks Timm for this info
I will start with 130/650.
TareqPhoto 2.94
If it is not too late and you have big budget then i advise you to get a Mak 180mm, i have Skywatcher Skymax 180mm Mak and it is giving me winner moon shots, you won't believe how good it is, maybe i am not happy with it for planets much, but for the moon i believe i found my scope, i bought it because i saw someone used this scope for his colorful sharp moon shots, listen to me and you won't regret.

Register or login to create to post a reply.