Hello from northern Illinois Introduce yourself! · Tom H · ... · 2 · 62 · 0

horrifiedonlooker 0.00
Hi, I’m Tom and I’m from DeKalb, IL which is about 60 miles west of Chicago. I’ve been interested in astronomy since the 70s where I grew up closer to Chicago and couldn’t see much beyond the big dipper.

I was also into B/W photography since I was a kid and even built my own darkroom where we’d have to spend hours developing negatives and prints to see our photos. Most of my pictures back then were of nature and my dog, nothing of the sky. I just recently discovered all the opportunities astrophotography offers and am excited to try and capture the beautiful heavens and worlds beyond our physical reach.

I started last November with a William Optics Z61 and enjoyed learning all the steps to track, photo and process galaxies, clusters and nebulae. In February I added a Sky-Watcher Esprit 100 to my collection.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had much opportunity to use it because we’ve had more cloudiness, snow and rain than usual. I’ve really only had a few hours of quality skies to capture anything. The good thing about astrophotography is that it gives you many other opportunities so I’m looking forward to a long stretch of clear, dark skies. I’ve seen many beautiful images on Astrobin and hope I can learn to capture and process my images well enough to gain your respect.

Best wishes and dark skies,Tom
Edited ...
SBRMichigan 0.00
Welcome Tom!  You're going to love what's happening in AP  and EAA right now..especially when the weather clears! You'll get lots of good feedback here so don't be hesitant about posting images as you learn and improve.
-Craig in northern Michigan
khrrugh 3.21
Hi Tom,

welcome! Waiting for clear skies is hard - i hope you'll get better weather soon.

CS from germany,
Michael

Register or login to create to post a reply.