Adding Old Data to New [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · Michael Caller · ... · 9 · 300 · 0

caller89 0.00
Hi All

Im yet to add data from a previous imaging session from a different year to new data obtained.i cannot find mush info online.

I use Pixinsight & Photoshop for processing is it just a case of registering old and new stacked data to each other and adding via layers ? or do I stack the old stacked data to the new via DSS function stack already stacked images?

look forward to your responses.

Thanks
UN73 0.00
hi,

can´t help you with pixinsight. with dss you can stack the two sessions separately and combine them in layers in photoshop, which can be very fiddly. photoshop has different transformation functions which are usually needed. you can also adjust how much of which layer you want to have in the final image. also useful for combining ha with rgb subs if one is patient.

nowadays i use astro pixel processor. that combines different sessions in one go even if the focal length is different or if there are other issues like a slightly different fov and using a lens which has some optical warping. for adding narrowband to rgb one can adjust how much of what comes into the final image. for just combining different sessions i haven´t found a way to adjust the percentages yet.

i´m sure that pixinsight offers the opportunity to stack different sessions in one go.

bye,
ulf
gnomus 0.00
You can do it as you say.  My suggestion, however, would be to calibrate the new subs, then get the old  individual calibrated subs, then align them all using StarAlignment and finally re-stack using ImageIntegration.
caller89 0.00
hi,can´t help you with pixinsight. with dss you can stack the two sessions separately and combine them in layers in photoshop, which can be very fiddly. photoshop has different transformation functions which are usually needed. you can also adjust how much of which layer you want to have in the final image. also useful for combining ha with rgb subs if one is patient.

nowadays i use astro pixel processor. that combines different sessions in one go even if the focal length is different or if there are other issues like a slightly different fov and using a lens which has some optical warping. for adding narrowband to rgb one can adjust how much of what comes into the final image. for just combining different sessions i haven´t found a way to adjust the percentages yet.

i´m sure that pixinsight offers the opportunity to stack different sessions in one go.

bye,
ulf

Thanks UN73 I do have paid version Astro Pixel Processor. iv not really used it since I purchased it but maybe give it a go.
morefield 11.07
Steve Milne:
You can do it as you say.  My suggestion, however, would be to calibrate the new subs, then get the old  individual calibrated subs, then align them all using StarAlignment and finally re-stack using ImageIntegration.

Best Advice
caller89 0.00
Steve Milne:

Thanks Steve sounds very simple. thats why I love PixInsight 
gnomus 0.00
·  1 like
PixInsight and ‘Simple’ ......  ????
caller89 0.00
Steve Milne:
PixInsight and ‘Simple’ ......  ????

Apparently I'm the only one that thinks Pixinsight is Simple 
UN73 0.00
Michael Caller:
hi,can´t help you with pixinsight. with dss you can stack the two sessions separately and combine them in layers in photoshop, which can be very fiddly. photoshop has different transformation functions which are usually needed. you can also adjust how much of which layer you want to have in the final image. also useful for combining ha with rgb subs if one is patient.nowadays i use astro pixel processor. that combines different sessions in one go even if the focal length is different or if there are other issues like a slightly different fov and using a lens which has some optical warping. for adding narrowband to rgb one can adjust how much of what comes into the final image. for just combining different sessions i haven´t found a way to adjust the percentages yet.

bye,
ulf

Thanks UN73 I do have paid version Astro Pixel Processor. iv not really used it since I purchased it but maybe give it a go.

if you go for APP tick "multiple session" under "1) load" and depending on your sessions "same camera and optics" and/or "use dynamic distortion correction" under "4) register"
carastro 8.04
Michael I do this fairly regularly and even combine data captured with different scopes and cameras over different years.

If you are using the same scope and camera it's much more straight forward, as you can stack the data together, but bearing in mind you will have different flats from different set ups I find it best to stack the different sessions separately and then stack the stacks.

If I am using data captured with different kit, then I register them to each other and combine in Photoshop layers, normally 50% in the top layer.  I don't use Pixinsight.

I guess the advice above is probably more useful to you if you are using same kit and Pixinsight.

Carole
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.