Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro (Gold Tube) Generic equipment discussions · Jeff Donaldson · ... · 3 · 203 · 0

astrojeff 0.00
I am going to look at this scope, its used but well maintained and I am replacing my very old Orion 8" F4 Newtonian.  The rust is coming through the primary mirror.  I was looking for a smaller scope for widefield and the like.

I have a Celestron Nightscape 8300 Camera and concerned about Focus, is this a good Imaging scope?  And do I need a reducer?
jcoldrey 3.35
Great imaging scope - I enjoyed using one for 10 years with several APS sized cameras.
But be sure to get a flattener for it, with or without reduction.
I used a Williams Optics pflat2 (0.85x).

The skywarcher and orion flatterers are understood to work well to.

When imaging smaller items (which will be heavily cropped), just remove the flattener.

Cheers,
Jeff
richorn 0.00
I have the "normal" ED-80, and I think it looks great.  I'm a newbie, but at the last star party I did, many of the old timers were raving about the optics for the price I paid.

I added the SkyWatcher x.85 flattener/reducer when I added the mono camera.  I have a hell of a time focusing, but it is probably my old eyes.  When I get it, its plenty sharp.  I'm going to add an auto-focuser to solve this...

All in all, this is everything and more than I expected in a scope for less than $1k.

Hope this helps.
Edited ...
carastro 8.04
I have the black diamond version of the ED80 but the gold version of the ED120 and find both to be good scopes.  I like the design and ease of mounting and mounting other things on it.

I would however recommend a focal reducer/flattener as it will speed up the optics a bit.

Carole
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.