Widefield Scope Generic equipment discussions · Michael Timm · ... · 12 · 554 · 0

khrrugh 3.21
Hi @ll,

despite the fact that my imaging-camera is on it's way being repaired by ZWO (see here if you are interested in the story), i want to extend my telescope-farm with a fast widefield setup this fall. At the moment i own a 8" RC (my main scope), a 130/650 newtonian (for visual purposes only) and a cheap 80/400 refractor (i don't use it anymore). The camera is a ASI294MC Pro.

The requirements are: The focal length should not exceed 400mm. The f-number should not exceed f/5 (i want a fast optic with at least 80mm diameter). The price should not exceed 1.500 € (well, a bit is okay, but not much).
So here are the options i am looking at right now :
1) TS-Optics 80mm f/6,25 Triplet FPL53 APO carbon (TSAPOCF80) + TSAPORED075 (350mm @ F/4.5) 1494 €
2) TS Photoline Triplet FPL-53 Super Apo (TLAPO804-FT) + TSRED279 (379mm @ F/4.7) 1534 €
3) Meade Apochromatic refractor 80/480 Series 6000 + Meade Reducer Field Flattener 0.8 (384mm @ F/4.8 ) 1509 €
4) Skywatcher Esprit 80 SuperApo + Flattener (400mm @ F/5) 1215 €
5) TS-Optics Photoline 90mm f/6,6 Triplet FPL53 Apo (TSAPO906) + TSAPORED075 (450mm @ F/5) 1594 € <- a bit out of my specs, but with a bigger aperture
I can see several minor advantages and disadvantages, but from the specs alone every solution is nearly equal, but maybe some of you own one of these and can tell from personal experiences which one is good or not so good. And another question: Am i missing an important option?
Which one shall i buy?

Thanks for reading this and sharing your experiences,
Michael

[Edit]: Added 5)
Edited ...
TheLazyAstrographer 0.00
I have the Esprit 80mm. The things I like about the scope is that it basically comes with everything you need to get started. This was my first scope so it was nice that I didn't have to worry about choosing a flattener, guides scope, rings, and all necessary accessories to attach my dslr. It also comes with a nice case. I have been happy with the results I have been getting at sub 10 hour integration times. The only thing I do not like is the small dovetail plate that is attached, it can be removed but I doubt I ever will.
koten90
Man I have a Nikon 400 f2,8 all manual ehich you can use all wide open. It’s 7kgs because of the 140mm front lens.
This is 1x1800secs at f2,8 from bortle 8 sky (SQM18,5) https://www.astrobin.com/421185/
If you like it, it is for sale
Edited ...
khrrugh 3.21
Hey Alessio, thanks for the offer, but the Nikon 400 is too specialized for me.
Jeremy, thanks for your thoughts about the Esprit!
Edited ...
astropical
Hello Michael,
A telescope is always a compromise. I like to keep things simple and to work with least parts possible.
For this reason, months ago, I choose the TS-Optics 71SDQ because it is tax-free for me living outside Germany,
well below 1000 € and as a quad it won't require an optional reducer/flattener. The back focus serves both imaging and visual tasks.
Since your budget is over 1000 € please check out the TS86SDQ, a Ø86mm quad APO.
My short experience with scopes is limited to Skywatcher/Celestron and TS-Optics.
Cheers
Robert
khrrugh 3.21
I tend to not invest into a scope with a built-in flattener/reducer like the TS86SDQ. I am totally sure that this is a wonderful scope, but i have the feeling that i would loose some flexibility. I think number 5 will make it! 90 mm aperture and F/5 sounds very attractive to me  Thanks for your thoughts, Robert!
Edited ...
Starminer68 2.41
All these refractors are good scopes and feet your requirements. I own Meade 6000 with Orion flattener (no reducer) and very happy  <3
Edited ...
khrrugh 3.21
Thanks for all your input. Yesterday i ordered number #5 with the Riccardi reducer (450 mm focal length). Wide enough for me :-)
makhlouta 3.01
Hi Michael,
I know I am late to the post but I will share my experience. I've got the below:
2) TS Photoline Triplet FPL-53 Super Apo (TLAPO804-FT) + TSRED279 (379mm @ F/4.7) 1534 €

But I went with the TSRED379 in order to have a threaded setup, and if someday I decide to use a full frame camera. I still haven't figured out the correct spacing, and I seem to have a tilt somewhere probably in the focuser/ota area. The main problem I have is rotating when framing my targets, as the whole focuser rotates and it might put the guiding camera in a weird position, or even worst, the focusing knobs will hit the mount saddle.

None of the issues are major, but worth mentioning.
khrrugh 3.21
Uh, sounds interesting. I will take a look at these issues once i have the scope in my hands. Your scope and mine are very equal, i assume, so there should be a way to join forces and figure out how to get rid of these problems.
khrrugh 3.21
My new scope just arrived, see here: TSAPO906.

Michel Makhlouta:
I still haven't figured out the correct spacing, and I seem to have a tilt somewhere probably in the focuser/ota area.

Your spacing should look like the one in image B, i think?

Michel Makhlouta:
The main problem I have is rotating when framing my targets, as the whole focuser rotates and it might put the guiding camera in a weird position, or even worst, the focusing knobs will hit the mount saddle.

I haven't noticed a problem when rotating the focuser, but once i run into this problem i will report back. Maybe you can post an image of your problem?
makhlouta 3.01
congrats on the new scope! Did the weather allow you to do first tests? it does look like you've gotten a different focuser on your model. how's the rotating mechanism in your case? let's say you need to rotate 90 degrees for some framing?

i think i almost perfected the spacing but the tilt issue is still there. I am starting to thing that this tilt problem is from the asi1600, and not the scope. I will have to do more testing during the full moon phase. I will take some photos as well.

Thank you for reporting back your findings Michael!
khrrugh 3.21
Michel Makhlouta:
Did the weather allow you to do first tests?

Nope, sadly not :-(

Michel Makhlouta:
how's the rotating mechanism in your case? let's say you need to rotate 90 degrees for some framing?

Well, it is very easy to use. I uploaded another revision of the image. I just have to loosen the screw, then the whole focuser can be rotated.

Register or login to create to post a reply.