Your opinion please! Requests for constructive critique · TimothyTim · ... · 11 · 505 · 0

TimothyTim 1.51
Hello;

I’ve been doing Astrophotography for around two years now, and I keep on working on my technique and believe I’m improving, but I definitely could use a bit more of constructive criticism. This image was taken from my backyard I know I have a bit of a coma issue using Orion Reducer which I already ordered it’s replacement TeleVue Flattener Reducer.

https://www.astrobin.com/e2iou8/B/

Thank you in advance!
koten90
·  1 like
I think you exceeded in raising contrast (background is way too black and highlights are totally overexposed). If you have it, try raising clarity (instead of contrast) on Photoshop Camera RAW filter. This will give you the same tridimensionality without burning highlights 8)
TimothyTim 1.51
Alessio Pariani:
I think you exceeded in raising contrast (background is way too black and highlights are totally overexposed). If you have it, try raising clarity (instead of contrast) on Photoshop Camera RAW filter. This will give you the same tridimensionality without burning highlights 8)

Thanks I’ll look into that. Never tried playing with Clarity in PS before.
Die_Launische_Diva 11.03
I agree with Alessio. Try to reduce the contrast between the sky and the Soul. This will reduce the brightness of the Soul and in that way you'll be allowed to use less noise reduction.
TimothyTim 1.51
Die Launische Diva:
I agree with Alessio. Try to reduce the contrast between the sky and the Soul. This will reduce the brightness of the Soul and in that way you'll be allowed to use less noise reduction.

I made a bit of update based on that, can you check and let me know?
Die_Launische_Diva 11.03
Die Launische Diva:
I made a bit of update based on that, can you check and let me know?

Yes, I think it is towards the right direction.
koten90
Definitely the right direction!
the nebula is ok now.
Remember that background should never be so dark.
Use a delicate stretch after stacking to avoid much boise comes out.
If you need more signal, get longer subframes. If you need less noise, get more subframes.

You can share your master light with us to get further info and an alternative version processed (help much to understand which are your photos limits)
TimothyTim 1.51
Alessio Pariani:
Definitely the right direction!the nebula is ok now.
Remember that background should never be so dark.
Use a delicate stretch after stacking to avoid much boise comes out.
If you need more signal, get longer subframes. If you need less noise, get more subframes.

You can share your master light with us to get further info and an alternative version processed (help much to understand which are your photos limits)

This is the XISF of the SHO I have with SCNR and Cropped: http://tim.bu1.sharktech.net/IC1848-SCNR.xisf

A little about my process after stacking:

PixInsight:
Background Naturalization
Cropping
SCNR Green
Extract Luminous
Apply Deconvolution Process to Luminous
Multiscale Linear Transformation Noise Reduction
Linear Stretching of both Luminos and RGB
Noise Reduction of RGB TGVDenoise or ACDNR
Combine L with RGB
Morphological Transform and MMT Star reduction with Starmask
Test HDRMultiScaleTransform Result
Test LocalHistogramEqualization
Curve adjustments RGB and Saturation

PhotoShop:
Despeckle
Reduce Noise (test)
Adjust color intensity
Adjust curves
Test additional smart sharpness
Hue/Saturation
Color Balance
Topographic 0.00
I think all three images are interesting as they highlight different aspects of the subject. This tells me you have some good data there...that is the really important thing. Post processing is subjective, play and follow your instincts!
TimothyTim 1.51
I think all three images are interesting as they highlight different aspects of the subject. This tells me you have some good data there...that is the really important thing. Post processing is subjective, play and follow your instincts!

Thank you I appreciate that. I’m just looking for pointers to up my game, bringing my image quality a bit higher.
Trikkievic 0.90
Just out of curiosity; why did you put this under Electronically Assisted Astronomy?
TimothyTim 1.51
Victor Land:
Just out of curiosity; why did you put this under Electronically Assisted Astronomy?

I have the whole setup in my backyard with a computer mounted on the OTA. I remote in and manage the setup and according to what a previous discussion here about this, that fits the EAA category.

Register or login to create to post a reply.