Is the OPT Triad Narrowband Filter worth it? Generic equipment discussions · Bruce Donzanti · ... · 16 · 775 · 3

umasscrew39 12.53
I was thinking about trying the OPT Triad filter with my SX color cameras  on my C11" SCT.  I noticed some great images here but before I pull the trigger to get one, I am curious to get feedback by users.   I'm in the suburbs of Orlando with Bottle skies around 4/5.  I have Ha, OIII, and SII NB filters but am not sure of the advantage of the triad (Ha, Hb/OIII) other than you just need to use the one filter and not worry about changing filters.
Edited ...
mirkodog 0.00
Is your C11 hyperstar compatible?  I’ve thought about getting one before I had purchased a mono camera.  I think you’re better off getting a mono camera rather than shoot through one shot color at really long subs with the triad and the quality will be better.  an asi 1600 mono camera used goes about the same cost as a 2” triad.  Very pricey filter.
stan 0.00
Bruce Donzanti:
I was thinking about trying the OPT Triad filter with my SX color cameras  on my C11" SCT.  I noticed some great images here but before I pull the trigger to get one, I am curious to get feedback by users.   I'm in the suburbs of Orlando with Bottle skies around 4/5.  I have Ha, OIII, and SII NB filters but am not sure of the advantage of the triad (Ha, Hb/OIII) other than you just need to use the one filter and not worry about changing filters.

That is a very pricey filter. Because you already have a color camera I would look at the Optolong L-Pro filter.
Wintyfresh 0.00
Only if you want to image on moonlit nights without the need for a filter wheel and mono camera, imho.
umasscrew39 12.53
ok- then makes no sense for me.  I have a mono camera and NB filters with a filter wheel and filter drawer system.   I was thinking perhaps there was a bigger advantage to using it besides maybe being a little more convenient.

Thanks to both of you for your opinion.
Wintyfresh 0.00
It would probably make a very nice luminance filter, but not worth it at that price.
cjacobson 0.00
I had a triad filter thtat I used with my  backyard refractor with my starlight m25c camera.  It worked like a dream.  So I purchased the Ultra, ( expensive) but it too works like a dream in my light polluted skies.  I have tried  LRGB imaging and found it not to my taste so I am sticking with Bayer Matrex cameras.Jacobson
4esop 0.00
The triad filter is too narrow to work with a hyperstar.  DUO or IDAS-LPSv4 would be my recommendations for a color camera.
Wintyfresh 0.00
The triad filter is too narrow to work with a hyperstar.  DUO or IDAS-LPSv4 would be my recommendations for a color camera.

Too narrow to work with my RASA, too. Fortunately I'm too dumb to read the instructions so I still image with it.
cjacobson 0.00
I think Andrew has the best advice with those other filters plus they are much less expensive. AS long as have tried this filter with your RASA how has it worked?  I a hyperstar setup on a c14.  Chuck jacobson
Wintyfresh 0.00
Here's a few examples.

4esop 0.00
I personally think even the DUO is blocking too much at times.  I prefer the IDAS-LPSv4 over anything else I have tried shooting nebulas with.  I get about 19.35 (bortle 5-6) on SQM-L at my location.  I find that exposures take longer with the DUO and it misses some features.  If you have extreme light pollution the DUO or triad could be more helpful.  In all but the most extreme LP or perhaps under a bright moon, I prefer the IDAS.  I think they may even have some newer nebula-specific filters that are not nearly as expensive as the triad.  I have not used them but I only hear good things about their other filters.
umasscrew39 12.53
After I started this topic, I decided to get the Optolong L-enhance duo band filter.  It is amazing and I use it on my C11” EdgeHD @ f/7 and my hyperstar.  I had been using the IDAS LPS D1 and still like it but the L-enhance is a winner, producing sharp and clear nebulae and it is not overly expensive.
umasscrew39 12.53
After I started this topic, I decided to get the Optolong L-enhance duo band filter.  It is amazing and I use it on my C11” EdgeHD @ f/7 and my hyperstar.  I had been using the IDAS LPS D1 and still like it but the L-enhance is a winner, producing sharp and clear nebulae and it is not overly expensive.
cjacobson 0.00
those posted images are real winners.  I am convinced.  Jacobson
gibran85 0.00
It's claim to fame is extremely light  polluted areas.  I've used it in Bortle 4 skies with my ZWO ASI 1600 MC Cooled on my Meade 130 APO, Orion ED80  and WO 61 Zenithstar and the results I think are great! A sound investment I would say.
markplym 0.00
I have ordered a Optolong clip-in CLS CCD (broadband) filter as my backyard is in a Bortal 6 area.

Canon EOS 750D (Astro modified), C8 AVX.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.