Stacking in Photoshop [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · Thomas · ... · 5 · 304 · 0

tomtom2245 1.20
Does anyone use Photoshop to stack your light frames? I usually just use DSS but have been having problems with it lately. For one, it doesn't like the RAW files from my SONY DSLR and I have to convert those to another format before it will stack them. If you do use PS, what methods are you using? I stacked my eclipse HDR in PS and used the convert to smart object and then changed the stacking method and that produced good results but I'm not sure if that method is the best for DSOs. Any thoughts are appreciated.
RayCaro 0.00
Hi tomtom

Is it the DSS version 3.3.6 that you use? Normally it accepts Sony RAW files.
tomtom2245 1.20
I’m not seeing v3.3.6. I just noticed my version was out of date. I was using 3.3.2 and just upgraded to 3.3.4. I’ll see if that helps.
zs1chq1 0.00
I also use3.3.2,stack ARW no problem!
Edited ...
Robsi 2.33
Hi, there is already  DSS 4.2.3 . Give it a try  ;)
Edited ...
carastro 8.04
Photoshop is not a stacking programme, it won't apply calibrations frames or register the images.

I do use it for stacking already registered and stacked images done with different cameras and telescopes as sometimes my stacking programme (Astroart) doesn't like stacking those together.  When I do this, after Registering the images, I place one image on top of the other in layers and then reduce the opacity of the top layer to 50%.

I think this is the only realistic way of stacking in photoshop.

I hope you manage to sort out your stacking problems.  You may need different stacking software, hopefully others will know which ones will work on your camera.

Carole

Register or login to create to post a reply.