Does Bahtinov Mask work with Mirror Lens/Scope? Generic equipment discussions · schmaks · ... · 5 · 155 · 0

schmaks 0.00
Does Bahtinov Mask work with Mirror Lens/Scope?
carastro 8.04
Do you mean a Newtonian, if so yes.
It also works with an SCT.

It also works with a lens if you can find a Bahtinov mask the right size.

Carole
Edited ...
schmaks 0.00
Carastro:
Do you mean a Newtonian, if so yes.It also works with an SCT.

It also works with a lens if you can find a Bahtinov mask the right size.

Carole

For example—what about a lens like this?

It'll be a little while before I get my WO scope—so I'll be experimenting with what I currently have and was curious if the mask would help.

Thanks!
Hartmuth_Kintzel 7.87
It will work also with this.
But might be you have to make the mask by yourself, so you won't find a fittig one.

CS
Hartmuth
Edited ...
Rich-sky
yes, using a Bahtinov mask for a refractor or reflector will work.

I use one for my 235 mm SCT and 200m RASA and one for my 80mm guide scope.

The mask creates a diffraction pattern that allows you to obtain, a perfect focus.

The other way, is to invest in a digital focuser, where the software will achieve precise focus, using a mathematical model by moving the focus in and out, creating a 'V' shape graph using the HFR or FWHM of stars. The bottom of the 'V' is the precise focus, or the lowest HFR star value for a given focus value.

For example, with my RASA and 1600 mm camera, my focus is around 10,200 to 10,500 value depending on the viewing conditions.  If I use another set up, say, with my other CCD camera, the focus value will be totally different, 7500 -8500.

Remember, on your first night of light, with your new equipment, you may not see a single star. <<You may ask yourself, what is going on with my camera>>.

If your scope is totally defocused and you are using a filter, you may not see anything, but don't panic, just play with the focus knob.

Or, you may see large round objects, those are huge de-focused stars.  Again, focus in or out to bring the stars back to pin-point objects.

Then, proceed with using the bahtinov mask.  If you use the mask right away, you may have a hard time 'seeing' the stars.

Clear skies and good luck
Edited ...
schmaks 0.00
Rich Sky:
If you use the mask right away, you may have a hard time 'seeing' the stars.

Thanks, as always, Rich!

Register or login to create to post a reply.