Stacking / Processing Software for Mac? [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · schmaks · ... · 15 · 332 · 0

schmaks 0.00
Hey there!

What softwares are those using Mac OSX using for stacking / processing?
schmaks 0.00
Has anyone had luck solely using lightroom/photoshop? I've seen people doing it but wonder if the results are worth it or if I should just jump right into using PixInsight to stack and save photoshop for the final/creative portion.
schmaks 0.00
Marc Ricard:
Like a lot of astroimagers I started with Photoshop a long time ago but since I made the move to APP and Pixinsight I rarely use Photoshop nowadays.

Good to know. Are you using both APP and PixinSight? I'd love to know your process (from a general standpoint)—and others' processes as well.
schmaks 0.00
Tim Hutchison:
Good luck.Tim.

Thanks, Tim! Yes—It's very helpful to know what those getting great results are using and I am using that as a basis of my decisions for sure! Your photos are an inspiration; indeed!
schmaks 0.00
Andy 01:
seems  that my results are alright…

Very modest of you—haha. Your work is fantastic!
astropiflo 0.00
You could use Siril wich is free software. It provide very good result
LookBackInTime 2.41
Pixinsight and Nebulosity.  The former is amazing, but damn the curve is huge. It's not a quick, down-and-dirty solution by any means.

I wish AstroArt or Astro Pixel Processor would work on a Mac.  Although i use a NUC for acquisition, my daily driver is a mac.  I've
tried Wine to run Autostakkert with some success, but with Cataiina, it's no longer an option. (32 bit.)

I find it odd that no one has addressed the need for an easy Mac solution, espeically with so many coders using MacOS for its Unix properties.
schmaks 0.00
Pixinsight and Nebulosity.  The former is amazing, but damn the curve is huge. It's not a quick, down-and-dirty solution by any means.I wish AstroArt or Astro Pixel Processor would work on a Mac.  Although i use a NUC for acquisition, my daily driver is a mac.  I've
tried Wine to run Autostakkert with some success, but with Cataiina, it's no longer an option. (32 bit.)

I find it odd that no one has addressed the need for an easy Mac solution, espeically with so many coders using MacOS for its Unix properties.

Thanks! Curious what do you do in Pixinsight vs Nebulosity—are both a part of your process or are they interchangeable for stacking?

Thanks!
LookBackInTime 2.41
i don't use Nebulosity, although i've tried it, and it's good.  I use Pixinsight for stacking, or i get on my PC and use Autostakkert or Deep Sky Stacker.

I might just install Parallels and have Windows on my MBP.  Probably the easiest solution.  (Dylan O'Donnell on YouTube does this.)
d0tpt 0.00
Pixinsight or/and DSS/Sequator via windows virtual machine.
schmaks 0.00
i don't use Nebulosity, although i've tried it, and it's good.  I use Pixinsight for stacking, or i get on my PC and use Autostakkert or Deep Sky Stacker.I might just install Parallels and have Windows on my MBP.  Probably the easiest solution.  (Dylan O'Donnell on YouTube does this.)

Gotcha—thanks! I will likely be taking this route once the time comes for me to get things underway.
Poison 0.00
·  1 like
I wish AstroArt or Astro Pixel Processor would work on a Mac.

I just bought Astro Pixel Processor for Mac and its great.

All the best,
Oliver
Abell1689 0.00
·  1 like
I wish AstroArt or Astro Pixel Processor would work on a Mac.

Astro Pixel Processor supports also MAC OS. You can try the test version for free and then decide if it works for you. Up to now I'm happy with it.
LookBackInTime 2.41
Oh thanks for the clarification! I'll check it out.
LookBackInTime 2.41
I thought i would reference the following discussion on Cloudy Nights after using the new stacking software by Rolf Hempel.  You can find it here:  https://github.com/Rolf-Hempel/PlanetarySystemStacker

It works really well, and he says you can build it on a Mac, too, altough i haven't tried yet.

Discussion:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/645890-new-stacking-software-project-planetarysystemstacker/?p=10074932
Lead_Weight 0.00
·  1 like
Not much to add to the discussion here, but thought I would add a link to my site that focuses on Astrophotography on the Mac. I have all Mac and the best iOS software linked on my site in the software section.  I personally use Astro Pixel Processor for integration, calibration and light pollution removal, then PixInsight for more detailed processing.

https://www.macobservatory.com

Register or login to create to post a reply.