Starburst Amp Glow Stacking Artifacts with ZWO 1600 MM-Pro PixInsight Addicts · Josh Woodward · ... · 2 · 143 · 0

j_n_dubya 0.00
Hi All, This is probably been discussed ad nauseam, but I have been having random problems with starburst amp glow artifacts on my ZWO 1600MM-Pro.  https://www.dropbox....Hasq7UcMFa?dl=0
Here is my process:
  • 253 x 60s Lum subs at -15c, Gain 76, Offset 15[/*]
  • 50 x 60s Darks at -15c, Gain 76, Offset 15[/*]
  • 25 x 0.01 Flats at -15c, Gain 76, Offset 15[/*]
  • 25 x 0.01 Dark-Flats at -15c, Gain 76, Offset 15[/*]
 I used the PixInsight Weighted Batch Preprocessing Script with the Galaxy Setting and auto rejection settings (I believe it selects ESD). I also ensure that "Optimize Dark Frames" is unchecked. I initially thought that this could be a darks issue so I recaptured a set last evening. I reran the exact settings  with the new darks and and got the same result. I then tried Image Integration. Same result. Does anyone have insight into this?  Thanks.
Edited ...
H.Alfa 11.36
Hi John,

The flares on the right and bottom-left seem as a light leakage. You can cover the entire imaging rig with the darker cover you have to check it.

About the calibration I would suggest to use exposure times longer than 0.3s on the flats. Is a topic that has been discussed on CN. It is something that happens to the ASI1600 and the QHY163. What I don't know if this applies also to the Pro version.

Apart of this, Batch Processing it is supposed to be not to final calibration/stack, but only for testing purposes. About this subject I found Percentile Clipping to be the best for large number of subs (althought Winsored works well also).

Hope it helps.
Edited ...
RDBeck 1.91
·  1 like
I just ran across this.  On flats, I was advised to use a dim enough light source so I could get flat durations of at least 10s.  I had problems with correcting for my field flattener (SV80ST with SV field flattener).  When I used the 10s and longer flats, the FF effects were well calibrated.

Register or login to create to post a reply.