2 average scopes on 1 average mount? Generic equipment discussions · Tareq Abdulla · ... · 6 · 138 · 0

TareqPhoto 2.94
Hey all,

Does anyone here placed two scopes of medium weight on a mount that is not rated for very heavy capacity?

For example 2 scopes by each is almost up to 10KG [with accessories] on a mount that is rated for about 20-25KG only
astropical
Hello Tareq,
Only when imaging on the Moon  8)
If you like your Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Mount, then I would vouch against a 20kg payload. Mount manufacturers usually specify a maximum payload which should be taken with a grain of salt. You will definitely experience inferior tracking and guiding accuracy.
I once overloaded my Orion Atlas EQ-G which is about the caliber of your mount. I was painful to hear the gear worms crying.
All the very best,
Robert
sky-watcher 3.01
Hi Tarek,
I  have a Heq5 pro and I used it for years with 2 scopes, the total payload was up to 20 kg.
The recommended payload for the Heq5 is 12 kg
https://www.astrobin.com/s2vz81/?nc=user

Since about 2 years I have a 10" newt on the mount the payload is still about 20 kg
https://www.astrobin.com/255037/J/?image_list_page=10&nc=
I could and can do 20 minutes exposures.
I use the Lacerta Mgen2 autoguider with finderscope.
Since  about 4 years works reliable, with a payload of about 20 kg.
This is my experience, but I would not recommend for other people

cs johny
TareqPhoto 2.94
Hello Tareq,Only when imaging on the Moon  8)
If you like your Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT Mount, then I would vouch against a 20kg payload. Mount manufacturers usually specify a maximum payload which should be taken with a grain of salt. You will definitely experience inferior tracking and guiding accuracy.
I once overloaded my Orion Atlas EQ-G which is about the caliber of your mount. I was painful to hear the gear worms crying.
All the very best,
Robert

I see, it is difficult to find two cheap telescopes then to keep the mount within limits without pushing it too much, and i keep seeing some people using something like 12" F/5 Newtonian on EQ6 which is on the limit or the edge of the mount capability and they said it was fine, how? And i was thinking about two small scopes not big, but even with two small if i add cameras and filter wheel they will be a bit heavy.
TareqPhoto 2.94
Hi Tarek,I  have a Heq5 pro and I used it for years with 2 scopes, the total payload was up to 20 kg.
The recommended payload for the Heq5 is 12 kg
https://www.astrobin.com/s2vz81/?nc=user

Since about 2 years I have a 10" newt on the mount the payload is still about 20 kg
https://www.astrobin.com/255037/J/?image_list_page=10&nc=
I could and can do 20 minutes exposures.
I use the Lacerta Mgen2 autoguider with finderscope.
Since  about 4 years works reliable, with a payload of about 20 kg.
This is my experience, but I would not recommend for other people

cs johny

Well, i wasn't looking for that much, i mean i have 6" F/4 Newtonian which is nearly 5KG, if i buy another same scope that will be 10KG total, and if i add accessories for both say both can reach nearly 15-18KG, then with something else like guide scope i have small lightweight one that will put me at around 20KG, is that possible?

Also if i go with smaller scopes like refractors, i still don't want to buy expensive refractor more than $500 or 400euro for one so both are nearly $1000 or more, i can buy two up to $800 or even $1000 only but no more, so i don't know.

Also my mount is AZ-EQ6, the top quality model of EQ6 mounts, they send the mount with extra saddle, i have that extra saddle which means it can go with two scopes, but i have to know what is the limits of those two scopes and which two not expensive.
sky-watcher 3.01
If you think this doesn't works for you, the answer is very simple,   don't do it. 😊
TareqPhoto 2.94
If you think this doesn't works for you, the answer is very simple,   don't do it. 😊

I just don't know, it may work nicely or it may not work, so i don't have the answer, why did i ask then.

Register or login to create to post a reply.