Collimator suggestion please Generic equipment discussions · Tareq Abdulla · ... · 8 · 175 · 0

TareqPhoto 2.94
Do you know what collimator should i buy different than the one affordable i have?

I have one Cheshire collimator and 2 cheap laser collimators.

So, now i am looking at one one of two premium collimators out there by people, and not sure which one i should buy:

1. Howie Glatter

2. Catseye

What will be the choice and why that choice if possible please

Thanks
ODRedwine 1.51
Are you collimating your Maksutov?
TareqPhoto 2.94
David Redwine:
Are you collimating your Maksutov?

No, it doesn't need collimation, i am talking about my Newtonian scopes.
ODRedwine 1.51
Good, collimating a Mak is very tough.
TareqPhoto 2.94
David Redwine:
Good, collimating a Mak is very tough.

And i am not planning to do it anyway, the Mak i use it for the moon mainly, but i am trying to buy another scope for planets and definitely can use it for the moon too, so i won't be using the Mak is my main scope all the time and then i don't need to worry about its collimation, it did great so far since 2 years ago and i have to move on.
ks_observer 1.81
I use the $5 collimation cap and then Farpoint Autocollimator (as fancy collimation  cap) to extra fine tune things.
I tried the Glatter while back and tried lasers, but always felt i got much more precision with the cap.
Also, the lasers have a convenience factor for Dobs that you don't need for a Newt astrograph where you can look and reach knobs at same time.
Look at my M13 shot -- you can see the Coma Corrector astigmatism  -- you can't get better collimation than that.
Edited ...
TareqPhoto 2.94
I use the $5 collimation cap and then Farpoint Autocollimator (as fancy collimation  cap) to extra fine tune things.I tried the Glatter while back and tried lasers, but always felt i got much more precision with the cap.
Also, the lasers have a convenience factor for Dobs that you don't need for a Newt astrograph where you can look and reach knobs at same time.
Look at my M13 shot -- you can see the Coma Corrector astigmatism  -- you can't get better collimation than that.

I have a Cheshire good one that i can see from reviews that it does a great job, i use it for my 8" F5 Newt nicely, but with my 6" F4 i feel it is more tricky and harder, so i can't depend on it always if it will waste my time to use it to make it right, i need to get something else maybe to do it faster and precise.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

Also i have two affordable laser collimators, GSO and SVBONY, i collimated the GSO one to make it ready to use, and also i feel like with 8" F5 it is easier than 6" F4, the view and marks all are wider or larger i see on 8" F5 than 6" F4 somehow, i tried with 6" and i got the collimation very close, but sounds the problem is with the Newt knobs and screws itself rather than the collimators, but i wanted to make sure that collimators aren't the issue, if yes then it means i must replace them to something better eventually.

I bought Bob's knobs from my 6" F4 secondary mirror, it is the one that i ordered as accessories with my Newt, but it didn't work as the secondary mirror sounds is not connected to those collimation knobs [or screws before], i tightened the center lock of the mirror and the knobs working, but it became like impossible to adjust it when i tighten the center screw, if i loose it then knobs are no longer working, in fact all the problem i have with my Newt are from the secondary mirror only even with my 8" F5, the primary is super easy really, and the primary mirror of my 6" F4 is also somewhat not smooth collimating as with 8" F5, but i think if i can find a way to control that secondary mirror collimaion then anything else will be no problem.
ks_observer 1.81
The secondary should rarely need to be adjusted.
TareqPhoto 2.94
The secondary should rarely need to be adjusted.

You say that and i don't know why i have an issue in that, i have to find out why or where is the problem really, because if i can't solve that then it means either i will do collimation always forever or i will waste time adjusting secondary mirror, that is not acceptable.

Register or login to create to post a reply.