Image Views Anything goes · Rodd Dryfoos · ... · 12 · 284 · 1

RAD
I have noticed that some folks images get viewed thousands of times and others, quite good others, get viewed much less--Even some top pics only get seen less than 200 times.  I find that odd and can't explain it.    Even images that are well liked.  50-60% liked is a really good percentage.  The more an image gets liked, the longer it stays on the main feed--the more its seen.  Images that have been seen 180 times and have 130 likes, are great images--70-80% of the people that look at them like them.  What is preventing people from seeing them?
Rodd
siovene
Rodd, some people post to more popular sites like Facebook or Reddit or whatnot, might go viral somewhere else and people click them.
RAD
Salvatore Iovene:
Rodd, some people post to more popular sites like Facebook or Reddit or whatnot, might go viral somewhere else and people click them.
but those likes do not transfer to AstroBin.  I am talking about Astrobin likes
morefield 11.07
It’s the views that come from other sites when you post the image link outside of Astrobin.  I recall a video posted here that was awarded a APOD with a link to the Astrobin site. Views were off the charts but likes were still just from the Astrobin users.
siovene
Rodd Dryfoos:
I am talking about Astrobin likes
I thought you were talking about views.
wsg 11.24
I have wondered for a while now if there is a sort of "prime" time for posting images.  I understand the time zone implications of course, and generally people in fairly close geographical proximity see other peoples posts by chance, without following them, more easily, but it would be interesting to see if there was a correlation in image views/likes with a certain day of the week or time of day.  More to Rodd's point, I have noticed some images with not a great number of likes can linger on the first couple of pages for hours, also why do some images double at the bottom of the page?  Maybe it's just my lap top and browser?  My own image likes are not, and have never been high in number but have improved as my images have improved.  My percentage of likes to views has greatly improved, I suspect, due to being followed more.

Scott
siovene
Here's a heatmap of AstroBin's most active times of the day, for your amusement. Times are in GMT+2.

RAD
I have wondered for a while now if there is a sort of "prime" time for posting images.  I understand the time zone implications of course, and generally people in fairly close geographical proximity see other peoples posts by chance, without following them, more easily, but it would be interesting to see if there was a correlation in image views/likes with a certain day of the week or time of day.  More to Rodd's point, I have noticed some images with not a great number of likes can linger on the first couple of pages for hours, also why do some images double at the bottom of the page?  Maybe it's just my lap top and browser?  My own image likes are not, and have never been high in number but have improved as my images have improved.  My percentage of likes to views has greatly improved, I suspect, due to being followed more.Scott
it doesn’t really matter when you post, because the looks ( and likes) build up over days.  Everyone who follows someone gets an email notification as well.
RAD
Salvatore Iovene:
Rodd Dryfoos:
I am talking about Astrobin likes
I thought you were talking about views.
same principle. Looks on Facebook do not transfer to AstroBin
siovene
Rodd Dryfoos:
They do when people post with a link to AstroBin and people click it.
RAD
Salvatore Iovene:
Rodd Dryfoos:
They do when people post with a link to AstroBin and people click it.
hmm....interesting.  But I would be willing to bet that for the images/imagers I am referring to this is not the case. Because invariably the images that get a lot of looks also get a lot of likes and likes only come from Astrobin (I think)
siovene
Likes only come from AstroBin, but if you are looking at an astrophotography images on Facebook, chances are you also have an account on AstroBin, so if you click thru to see it on AstroBin you might like it.

Also, don't underestimate the exponential nature of virality. More followers = more likes, more likes = getting bumped up on the front page, getting bumped up on the front page = more views, and so on.
RAD
Salvatore Iovene:
Likes only come from AstroBin, but if you are looking at an astrophotography images on Facebook, chances are you also have an account on AstroBin, so if you click thru to see it on AstroBin you might like it.Also, don't underestimate the exponential nature of virality. More followers = more likes, more likes = getting bumped up on the front page, getting bumped up on the front page = more views, and so on.
i understand all that. It doesn’t really explain why someone with 250 followers only gets 150 looks over several weeks.  And another trend is unusual. An image that is posted say at noon and gets 80 looks and 75 likes within 2 hours, which is great ending up with 150 looks in a month.  We can postulate all day. It just strikes me as strange

Register or login to create to post a reply.