Keep Your Fingers Crossed for Sierra Remote Observatories Anything goes · Kevin Morefield · ... · 32 · 1526 · 0

jdowning 0.00
Jeff and Kevin,   I spoke with PlaneWave a few days ago to see if Matt D. could visit SRO to check out my CDK-17 / L-500 and the other PlaneWave equipment (subject to the approval of each owner).   Keith and Mel are in the loop.    Hoping for site access in a week or two.   Nothing solid yet.    I have the  pier in the NE corner of building 11.

-John
morefield 11.07
Jeff and Kevin,   I spoke with PlaneWave a few days ago to see if Matt D. could visit SRO to check out my CDK-17 / L-500 and the other PlaneWave equipment (subject to the approval of each owner).   Keith and Mel are in the loop.    Hoping for site access in a week or two.   Nothing solid yet.    I have the  pier in the NE corner of building 11.-John

That’s great John!  Let us know what you hear back.
jdowning 0.00
Kevin Morefield:
That’s great John!  Let us know what you hear back

Will do.   I expect that we will hear from Keith and Mel about the site status and plans over the next few days.
A few observations:   The PlaneWave L mounts have boxer fans that run when the mount is powered up.   These fans have filters that will clog up after a month or two of continuous operation.    That's why the mount is powered off  when it's not being actively used.  If balanced correctly, the OTA should remain in its parked position aimed directly at the flat panel.   Cleaning those filters is a bit of a chore as each fan must be individually removed from the mount for proper cleaning.   If your mount was left powered on the filters have probably kept the ash out but expect to spend a a few hours cleaning out the filters.   Probably also a good reason to not power up your mount until a physical inspection takes place.   Ash is pretty alkaline with a ph of something like 10 or 11.   Its also pretty benign unless it gets wet.   Wet ash will attack coated surfaces such as automobile paint.   I don't know what it would do to optics and hope I don't have to find out.   I think we are OK as long as the dew point remains well below the ambient temp.   That informs my sense of urgency in getting equipment inspections done as soon as site access is approved by Cal Fire.   My only other concern is getting the fiber optic connection up and running.   It is a buried line but it does go through some of the most damaged areas along Auberry Road.   Initial tests were encouraging so perhaps the connection will be up this week.    A second system from PlaneWave (CDK24 / L-600 ) is tentatively scheduled for year end installation at SRO.   At this point in time I think this will proceed as planned.
tolgagumus 0.00
I am glad SRO made it out OK. The only thing I heard was the soot from the fire could be quite sticky because of the type of trees around the area. I hope this is not the case. There are many people in there with irreplaceable equipment that are no longer made.
jklovelacephotography 1.51
John and Kevin, I spoke with Matt D. yesterday and he will let me/us know when he and the PWI team are heading there. Hope to see you then!
morefield 11.07
Jeffrey K Lovelace:
John and Kevin, I spoke with Matt D. yesterday and he will let me/us know when he and the PWI team are heading there. Hope to see you then!

Sounds good!
jerryyyyy 9.03
Hi, I got the smoke and ask down here in the Bay Area... how is it... need to clean my lens...

Register or login to create to post a reply.