Strange interference showing on image [Solar System] Acquisition techniques · Alicatt · ... · 2 · 175 · 1

Alicatt 0.00
Hi, was getting to know my equipment a bit better last night, and found a regular interference pattern on the image taken by my SXVF-H9 camera, I was using an old Dell C610 with Win 98 as my newer laptop refuses to run the Starlight Express software which gives an error saying no Open GL 3 found. Anyway, I ran the camera indoors yesterday afternoon making sure everything was running fine and images were downloading ok, but last night got the results as in this image, single image 1/1000sec @ 120mm f:5 Orion refractor. Any clues as to what it may be?
jhayes_tucson 22.40
·  2 likes
My first guess might be due to some sort of electrical interference.  You can test this during the daytime.  Cover your camera so that no light gets in and take some exposures to see if it's repeatable.  Try it with the scope and all other electronics turned off.  Then try swapping cables to see if that makes any difference.  Use the shortest possible cables,  check that they are properly seated, and see if the problem persists.  You might also try another computer if you have one.  Does the pattern change position between exposures or is it fixed?  If it's fixed, you may have a camera problem.  You want to swap out everything possible to make sure that the problem is outside of the camera; otherwise, the camera itself may have a problem.

John
Sonixx 1.20
It could also be the power supply that is causing this. You also may check proprt grounding of Laptop and powwer supply.
If Johns advice does not help, you should approach Starlight directly for advice.

Best regards,

Stephan

Register or login to create to post a reply.