Hello from San Diego! Introduce yourself! · Daniel · ... · 2 · 57 · 0

cmurin 0.00
·  2 likes
Hi friends!

My name is Daniel and I am just starting in astrophotography. I work as a research scientist during the day and have a background in cryo electron microscopy, which uses CCD/Direct Detection cameras and similar corrective software as astrophotography. Combined with a general fascination with the cosmos and a desire to rekindle a childhood hobby that my dad and I shared, I though that astrophotography is the perfect synthesis for me.

I am hoping to use this site (and others) as a means of intelligently building my equipment arsenal and knowledge, sharing my photos and getting helpful feedback. There are lots of dark sky opportunities here in the deserts and mountains of SoCal, and I love to camp and hike (and also have a great mid-sized SUV), so I’d like to stay mobile.

I’m trying to go mostly through the used equipment route for now. I found a rare Canon EOS 60Da in fabulous condition as my first purchase. I’m doing a lot of reading as well. Mount and telescope are next but I’m debating just getting a 135mm lens for now.

Happy New Year and clear skies!

Daniel
Nils-1 0.00
Hi Daniel, good to see you here! Nils
HH_Astro 0.90
Hello Daniel, I'm also from SoCal.

A 60Da should be a great camera to start out with!

There are definitely lots of great dark sky locations here. You should try Joshua Tree National Park sometime, it's probably the best I've found in terms of distance and sky.

Hunter

Register or login to create to post a reply.