Retail store legitimacy Anything goes · Scott Badger · ... · 15 · 335 · 0

ScottBadger 7.61
Does anyone have experience buying gear from OPT Telescopes? I recently placed an (expensive) order for a first scope and mount which is backordered, though that's expected since there doesn't seem to be any astronomy retailer that has stock in any scope... They also seem to be overloaded as getting through on the phone is very difficult, and I still haven't received an RMA for an Ha filter return that I submitted a week ago, but again not necessarily surprising given the surge in interest and the pandemic.

My concern arises from the some reviews I was just reading. Yelp reviews are overall very positive, but reviews on Trustpilot are the opposite. On one hand, Yelp reviews are easier to 'manufacture', but on the other most of the negative TP reviews are in regards to delays in shipping, backorders etc. and as an online retailer myself, I know how the retailer can be blamed for shipping and delivery issues beyond thir control....

Anyhow, wondering what experiences others have had with them.

Thanks!
Scott
leviathan 4.72
·  2 likes
I've bought many times in past from OPT, you can trust them. Also I know many others that have bought from them without any problem.
ScottBadger 7.61
Thanks!
torsinadoc
·  2 likes
I purchased many things from OPT over the years and returned a few items and they were easy to deal with
Edited ...
MCaligiuri 0.90
·  3 likes
Hi Scott:
I live 10 minutes from OPT and have been a customer for over 20 years. I would consider OPT to be in the top 3 venders for astronomy gear.  (missed out on 1st spot because I would have to pay sales tax).  The backlog you are experiencing is ubiquitous since the shelter-on orders.

-Mike
Carlsbad, CA
ScottBadger 7.61
Thanks Mike and Alan! They've been a little lax about following up on the RMA I'm waiting for and messages I've left regarding questions on hte order I placed (not on delivery, but the gear in it), but I understand they're probably swamped with new interest in AP plus customers wondering when they'll finally get their stuff.....plus the time of the year...so I'm willing to give them some slack. Just became more concerned when I came across the TP reviews. Anyhow, thanks for the reassurance! Very much looking forward  to getting going!

Cheers,
Scott
david.quattlebaum 0.90
Same here, they have had a big backlog on deliveries/shipments, but everything I have ordered in the past has been delivered as expected and in good order.

I currently have a backorder outstanding as well, and it took a while for them to get back with me, but did so and resolved my questions.
ODRedwine 1.51
High Point and Opt are my first and second choice for equipment.  I've never had a problem with either outfit.

CS
BradleyWatson 7.33
Scott, I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I ordered an item recently from them which took an age to get anywhere. They were the only stockist at the time of the l-enhance and I must admit I was suspicious.

I was able to block the item at import and send it back after 2 months waiting, it had come into stock at another stockist.

Most important though was that they were super easy to deal with and helpful. You have to email, do not call they won’t answer but email is very quick. I got my money back very quickly.

Right now everyone is struggling due to supply chain issues and to make it worse EVERYONE and their dog are starting Astro photography now. (ME )

Good luck and clear skies.
Brad
ScottBadger 7.61
·  3 likes
Ha! I make dog collars, so let me tell you about everyone and their dog!....

Cheers,
Scott
SoDakAstronomyNut 1.43
OPT customer here too. Very satified with them. Recent orders (new QHY camera) are plagued by massive supply chain issues that OPT is a victim of. You'll need to get used to the "two to three weeks" shuffle if you want to stay sane when buying anything astronomy-related online.

CS & GB!
astropical
Never care about online reviews. Posting your concern here was the right decision.
Cheers and all the best,
Robert
ScottBadger 7.61
Thanks again all! i’ll just sit back and strum a few more chords of the fixed mount blues.....

cheers,
scott
Garcres 0.00
Some years ago, I bought from OPT a Takahashi Tema II mount (7000 euros, at the time), and they sent me a defective item. Then they refused to return the money.

Finally, because of my publishing of stripes of the mount trackings in Cloudy Nights and discussing matters, they accepted a refunding, but they messed so much with the shipping procedure, that I feared to lose the mount and the money. All in all, they seemed ordinary swindlers to me. And I will consider them so until my memory fades. Shame on them forever. I wouldn't order a simple bolt from OPT.

Of course, this is only my experience.
Edited ...
ScottBadger 7.61
I’m sorry to hear about your experience Pedro. As a manufacturer and online retailer myself, as much as we try to go the extra mile when it comes to customer service (we have a pretty much anything goes warranty, patterned after the (original) LL Bean warranty), there are times when we fail to meet the customer’s expectations. I’d like to think that we’ve done everything we reasonably could in every situation, but also I know there are times when we fail to understand, and address, the customer’s real concern, or we don’t believe the customer and it’s that 0.1% instance of something that isn’t true 99.9% of the time.  That said, it’s actually pretty easy to do things right most of the time, the real mark of a business (or person, for that matter) is what they do when they’ve done something wrong. Of course, in my business' case we’re talking 10’s of dollars, in yours, 1,000’s….

In any case, I appreciate your warning. Hopefully OPT staff are part of this forum and hear and consider your concerns, however successful there customer service usually is.

Cheers,
Scott
Edited ...
Garcres 0.00
To Scott Badger:

No Sir, no extra mile, not a bad day, not accidental fail, not "we are usually trustworthy": they had decided to get rid of a defective item and sent it to Spain. Tens of emails to no avail. As I said, ordinary swindlers. Not unsuccessful customer service. No need to be corporative this time. Do a need to repeat SHAME ON THEM?

Register or login to create to post a reply.