Zenithstar 61 with Orion Field Flattener Generic equipment discussions · Mark Germani · ... · 6 · 166 · 0

mgermani 5.38
Hi folks:

Quick question here: I'm thinking of upgrading from my ST80 to the Zenithstar 61 for my Skyguider mount. My local telescope shop has recommended the Orion Field Flattener to go along with it, as they don't carry WO products (the Z61 was a trade-in) and they assured me it would work just fine.

Does anyone here have experience using the Orion Field Flattener with the Z61? I'd love to hear from you. Obviously I'd prefer the WO flattener, but it's more than twice the price and I'd have to order it online from Ontario.

As a follow-up question, could I connect my DSLR to the Z61 without the flattener while I save up for it? I currently use my ST80 and with a modest crop, the field curvature isn't too detrimental.

Thanks!
mgermani 5.38
·  1 like
Just a quick update - I did end up getting the WO Zenithstar 61 with the Orion Field Flattener for Short Tube Refractors.

It's not only completely clouded-over here, we have had a heavy rainfall warning for the past few days, so I've had NO chance to test it, other than to ascertain whether or not I could achieve focus by focusing on distant objects indoors, but so far so good.

I'll post my findings and some sample images on this thread as soon as I'm able to get outdoors, in the hopes that other people who stumble across this thread might be able to save a few bucks if they're ever curious about the Orion flattener.

Cheers,
Mark
mgermani 5.38
·  1 like
Big surprise, this flattener does NOT work with the Z61. I'm not sure how it compares to an un-flattened sub, but you'd have to crop about 1/6 off each side to isolate the out-of-focus stars. I will post a few sample images as soon as I have a chance, for reference.

Cheers,
Mark
matthew.maclean 3.97
·  1 like
At least you know for sure. Hopefully your retailer takes the Orion one back for you. I have a GT81 - the only thing I am aware of is that the ZS61 has a special flattener from WO that is different than the one they sell for most of the rest of their telescopes (like mine), so I'm guessing that something about its focal length makes it different.
wsg 11.24
·  1 like
Sorry I did not see this in time to help.  I have a Z61, it is a great little scope you will love it.  WO has had some blowback from buyers for not including the FF with the scope.  It absolutely has to be used with the telescope.  It's not cheap but it is worth the cost.

Scott
mgermani 5.38
·  2 likes
At least you know for sure. Hopefully your retailer takes the Orion one back for you. I have a GT81 - the only thing I am aware of is that the ZS61 has a special flattener from WO that is different than the one they sell for most of the rest of their telescopes (like mine), so I'm guessing that something about its focal length makes it different.

Hi Matthew:

I think it comes down to the Orion being for focal lengths of 400-660mm, and the Z61 being 360mm. Thankfully, my retailer will take the Orion back and I just pay the difference for the WO, which they'll special-order.

Cheers,
Mark

PS: Your work is amazing!
Edited ...
mgermani 5.38
Sorry I did not see this in time to help.  I have a Z61, it is a great little scope you will love it.  WO has had some blowback from buyers for not including the FF with the scope.  It absolutely has to be used with the telescope.  It's not cheap but it is worth the cost.

Scott

Hi Scott:

Thanks for chiming in! I can't wait to get the Flat61. Should be a week or two, and I probably picked the best month to order it, as it's been awful for clear skies.

It's so inspiring to see what other folks can do with similar equipment. The detail you got in your Orion photo is really admirable!

Cheers,
Mark

Register or login to create to post a reply.