digiCamControl and PHD [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · astropical · ... · 8 · 96 · 0

astropical
Hello Buddies,

Does anybody has some experience with using digiCamControl and PHD2? In the Astro Module of digiCamControl there is a check box labelled

"Automatically PHD guiding after photo captured". Should this b checked?

Trying both ways, I found that the word "Dither" is displayed twice on the guide graph when checked, and only once when unchecked . Else I can't find any difference. What are your preferred settings in the Astro Module?

Thanks a ton,
Robert
wsbrown 0.00
I do not check it, just set PHD Guiding drop box to "move 1" and set my wait on PHD time to 25". I get one dither on the PHD graph, and the movement spike associated with it is noticeable as well.
whwang 11.57
I always check it. I thought only by checking it, automatic PHD dithering will be enabled.
wsbrown 0.00
Wei-Hao Wang:
I always check it. I thought only by checking it, automatic PHD dithering will be enabled

I have checked it before and it seemed to always uncheck after the first cycle (I had the drop down set to "move 1" as well). Perhaps the check box lets PHD determine the move, but you determine move pattern if selected in the drop down? Just making a guess, either way my images are devoid of walking noise just using the drop down.
astropical
@Stephen Brown
@Wei-Hao Wang
Your views are much appreciated, gents. Seems the result is a tie 🤩
Since both of you confirmed that dithering occurs either way I am fine with this.
Thanks so much!
Robert
whwang 11.57
Hi,

I think you can just observe the PHD guide graph. As long as the word “dither” shows up regularly, between all your exposures, you are fine.

One general thing I found about DigiCamControl is that it can be a little buggy, and the behavior between different versions can be different. So perhaps the inconsistent answers you got is some feature that’s not very well written. Or it can be my misunderstanding. In that case, I apologize.
astropical
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi,

I think you can just observe the PHD guide graph. As long as the word “dither” shows up regularly, between all your exposures, you are fine.

One general thing I found about DigiCamControl is that it can be a little buggy, and the behavior between different versions can be different. So perhaps the inconsistent answers you got is some feature that’s not very well written. Or it can be my misunderstanding. In that case, I apologize.

No apology whatsoever needed. You are right, this feature is not documented, but "dither" shows up, even twice when the box is checked :-)
whwang 11.57
Twice would be strange, and might be problematic.  Perhaps two dither commands are sent to PHD in a very short time interval.
astropical
Wei-Hao Wang:
Twice would be strange, and might be problematic.  Perhaps two dither commands are sent to PHD in a very short time interval.

Thanks so much for your attention. Yes, this does make good sense. I will watch it.

Register or login to create to post a reply.